Who is a bit disappointed??

Reaction score
I was SO looking forward for the arrival of 7 (or Vienna, how they called previously), but when I beta-tested the OS, I was very disappointed with the near no-change from Vista.

The OS is definately very stable and perfomance is ace, BUT:
for me 7 is just Vista with new gimmicks, it looks like vista, it works like viste, it feels like vista.

Is that what the people that Microsoft interviewed said they wanted? To 'shake the window a little bit to make the other windows disappear'? Is that the massive change Microsoft was gonna offer us? Or to preview the windows' contents from the taskbar, thing that we can already do in Vista? The device interface is quite smart, but there is nothing original in that aprt from the same options that vista showed in a small box, but only in a bigger window.
Also, the taskbar is very poor looking and very not customisable. Why is there need to have a bar? why cant the icons just hang around there in a very discreet way?

Seriously is this the future of computing? adding features that would amaze a child? what about radical changes in file handling, or picture viewing, (which btw is pre-historical in 7, even Picasa do a better job).

Is it gonna be worth spending money is new gimmicks only?

as you can see i am very disappointed with microsoft. even the looks of mac osx are starting to ilude me....help me....sell me on 7!!! coz microsoft couldnt..

does anyone feel the same?

Reaction score
Coming from XP it looks very different to me and I am very dissappointed.

My Computer is a mess, the left collum is cluttered, and the libraries are shoved down our throats, its just a complete mess, XP is superior here. And the absence of the Classic start menu really pissed me off. Why would I like that? Well having a start bar that doesn't change everytime I use a program is a plus. But time goes on and I am sure someone will make a program I can install to get it back, so I am 50/50 right now on if I am going to upgrade or not. I would dual boot no matter what, but why should I shell out $100 for a system I tested, am not pleased with and nothing I use is requiring me to upgrade.

I am back to useing XP mainly for now. I hope they give users more choices on how things work when the final build is released, as 90% of their potential Win7 customers are on XP.

Reaction score
Windows 7

Me too. I had expected something more than just Vista with a horrible task bar. ( I prefer the Vista taskbar). Everything else looks like a midly tweaked Vista rather than the "new super OS" I was lead to believe was coming. Slightly faster than Vista, still got that useless UAC rubbish, and it needs Vista capable systems to run on, whereas we were told a few months ago that it would run on XP spec machines. I really cant see people rushing to update to 7 when its launched. Big thumbs down from me, I'm afraid. Something more radical was promised, but its just more of the same.

Reaction score
I think that this "beta" is a step up from vista itself. It was not a drastic jump from xp to vista but it is still something better in the right direction. I just wish M$ would give users complete control over the GUI, so every desktop would be different and unique. I also hope that they don't take their sweet ass time on releasing the finial version on store selves, so we get get windows 8 in our hands quicker... No later than one year m$...

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Add me to the bit dissappointed list, I am still on XP as I found working with Vista a confusing mess of eye candy and Win 7 isn't looking much better. Granted it seems more stable and a touch faster in doing tasks, it's still a confusing mess especially in the Control Panel. Options you want aren't under the heading you'd expect them to be and while some windows look exactly the same as XP, they then lead you to a unwieldly window of limited options.

Reaction score
As a bunch of less caring people lurking here to bash Windows 7, I feel it's really a shame to defame such a good and stable OS in these ways.

MS did not ever say that Windows 7 will be going to change the era of computing forever, generating super computing speeds in late 2000 PCs. They just claimed that this time they are going to hear most of the user complains and suggestions. And my opinion they did not just disappointed and are quite up to the mark with their best Beta till date.

In the desktop UI front, MS revamped the task bar with something touted as the 'superbar'. Actually it borrows some good points from OS X dock and implemented them in Windows way, retaining Vista style Live Thumbnail previews that OS X does not have. Live Thumbnails are smarter than ever, they show more than one windows for a single application. If we just need some 'hanging icons' instead, then how could one discriminate between them and actual desktop icons?

For XP people, you really need to do a clean install of Windows 7 before making useless comments. Much have been changed in within last 8 years and we are not going back a decade here.

The only thing that still sucks in Windows 7 is its image management program. Even with Windows Live Photo Gallery, it is nowhere to the functionality of Picasa or iPhoto.

I really pity those people who wanted a mind blowing super OS which can stop earthquakes, diminish the recession problem and can carry people back in time. Windows 7 is just going to be a OS that works, nothing more. Sorry for the disappointment.

Reaction score
I for one, really dislike Vista, but I have hope for 7. So far, I have liked what I have experienced. 7 is pretty fast compared to Vista. Comparable to XP. It does consume a good 1G of my ram though. I wouldnt say the lack of customization is a big con, since no Windows OS has ever had much. I also kind of like the "super bar". it's interesting. I don't know yet if I would want to deal with it for the life of a computer, but that's why I'm beta testing.

and also, this IS a beta, so it isn't quite done yet. it may not have many features above and beyond that of vista (or XP for that matter) at the moment, but it certainly MAY.

Reaction score
Windows is supposed to be just an operating system, just a platform for other programs to run on. Who cares if the photo program is not any good? Use something different. If you remember back to the good old days of MS DOS, you started DOS, then loaded YOUR choice of programs onto it. Why not complain that Wordpad is no good also? No one uses it. Everyone has their own choice of word processor.Same applies with Media Player 12. If Windows went back to its roots and became just a platform on which to run a users choice of software, then I'm sure it would really fly. Sadly, they seem fit to try and incorporate numerous little programs - none of which are really necessary to the operation of the operating system - and these just slow things down. Windows is sold as an operating system not a suite of software.

Reaction score
debsuvra...

I have beta tested windows 7, i'm a Vista user, and very happy Vista user actually.
Stopping earthquakes? what youre going on about?
MS is great company, but that doesnt mean that because their share of the market is, i dont know 90%, that they can give us anything.
What is sad is that Windows got into this 'mac' frenzy of adding all sorts of programs for the pc to run 'out of the box' but is making no substantial changes in the way the pc is run. if they want leadership, then they have to act as leaders.

no ofense but mate, what is even more sad is you calling us a 'bunch of less caring people', as if the OS had feelings....lol

crowfield, i wouldnt go as far as saying that the good old days MS-DOS need return, those were terrible days lol.

Reaction score
no ofense but mate, what is even more sad is you calling us a 'bunch of less caring people', as if the OS had feelings....lol
First understand what exactly others are saying before commenting on them. I said that many of the first commenters including you do not care about Windows. Anyway, you people do not seem to be care about what MS is actually providing and start bashing them from very beginning.

It's extremely silly to think that someone trying to make a point about a OS's feelings.
Stopping earthquakes? what youre going on about?
I just tried to show the impossible extremities you people might want from Windows. It is evident from your posts that you want Windows to do almost everything we could possibly do and also even those we can't. While it is good to hunger for more improvements, it's also foolish to overlook and diminish what has been done till now.
MS is great company, but that doesnt mean that because their share of the market is, i dont know 90%, that they can give us anything.
Learn to use proper English, will you? One can't ever understand what this 'sentence' actually meant?
What is sad is that Windows got into this 'mac' frenzy of adding all sorts of programs for the pc to run 'out of the box' but is making no substantial changes in the way the pc is run. if they want leadership, then they have to act as leaders.
How should MS change the way a PC runs? I think you should give some points on it and also rectify Windows 7's errors in light of those points.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
The post title is "who is a bit dissappointed", I certainly don't see this as anyone ripping Win 7 a new belly button. Most of us has posted some things we like about it and some things we don't and no one yet has called Bill Gates a $%^%$ so to say that we are all less caring people is farthest from the truth at least in my opinion...and that's really the beginning, middle and end of it.

Reaction score
The post title is "who is a bit dissappointed", I certainly don't see this as anyone ripping Win 7 a new belly button. Most of us has posted some things we like about it and some things we don't and no one yet has called Bill Gates a $%^%$ so to say that we are all less caring people is farthest from the truth at least in my opinion...and that's really the beginning, middle and end of it.
Oh really? You people really tried to make clear the pluses and minuses of Windows 7 here? I just saw you were yelling with negative impressions from the very beginning. Where are the good and plus points, my friend?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh really? You people really tried to make clear the pluses and minuses of Windows 7 here? I just saw you were yelling with negative impressions from the very beginning. Where are the good and plus points, my friend?
It's inevitable that there will be threads with negative comments in it, this one seems to have a mix of both good and bad points :)... If you are looking for specifics, draceena for example commented that: "Granted it seems more stable and a touch faster in doing tasks"

It isn't possible to please everybody all the time, but the general response from the forum seems to be very positive toward the new OS.

The only perfect product I can think of is Oreo's ;)

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Win7.

It's a slick interface and seems to run faster. The roll out of the beta and its install routines have been great. It's probably everthing that Vista should have been.
In some respects I wonder if Vista will go the way of ME?

However, I am a little disappointed that existing 3rd party software, in particular drivers, seem to be slipped away..
For instance, the Vista drivers to my Netgear SC101 SAN will NOT install! I don't expect MS to cover all the bases but wonder if the 3rd party outfits are 'in the loop'?

Having said that, we went through a similar situation with XP from 98 and Vista from XP. I just hope that Netgear & the like, have their eye on the ball!

BTW, fighting in public is not a good thing. Keep it to PMs!

Reaction score
It's inevitable that there will be threads with negative comments in it, this one seems to have a mix of both good and bad points :)... If you are looking for specifics, draceena for example commented that: "Granted it seems more stable and a touch faster in doing tasks"

It isn't possible to please everybody all the time, but the general response from the forum seems to be very positive toward the new OS.

The only perfect product I can think of is Oreo's ;)
Rightly said, I agree with you.

OK, here it is. If my comments hurt someone here, I'm really sorry for that. People have their own views, and they might differ from person to person. I just felt that something good as Windows 7 deserves some better felicitation from people. So I tried to say that here.

PEACE :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Well I am liking it a bit more now that I have played with it for a few more days. Still, I certainly realize this is Beta and stuff can change and I do hope that all the testing that everyone here is doing only adds to the betterment of the system in the end.

Reaction score
Coming from Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10, I can honestly say that I'm not a bit disappointed. I've been using it for about a week and so far I love what I've seen. Sure, I've run into a couple of problems (primarily the CEIP glitch, which is fixed now), but I expected that considering it is a Beta release.

Although I haven't done any kind of benchmark tests, I've found Windows 7 to be overall faster than XP was on my machine. It was certainly the fastest Windows installation that I've ever seen, and I've used ever version except for Vista since Windows 3.1.

Reaction score
Taskbar and startmenu is way better than anything else i have tried... Vista,Ubunto, Mac anything.. So the one who said it isnt an improvement, i would really like to hear what would actually please you.

Maybe it is allso about realizing, that some people do not need improvements in their OS. It means nothing to them, where others like myself (who work in IT profesionally) is seeing things from another angle.

Many tasks in vista, and ditto w7 will be easyer from a "dum user" perspective. So we IT people will be less stressed out by everyday tasks, and can use more time on more exciting stuff ;)

But as someone else points out, we all come from different angles, so obviously we have different views on this. Surely i will allso find stuff i dont like, as much as i have few things i dont like with vista.
That is the reason we have programs like vista manager etc. to finetune our experience and hack the system to our needs!

Reaction score

This is Windows to me, if I can't achieve this in Windows 7, why would I want it. You wouldn't buy a car that didn't have a radio just because it was removed for, "upgrades," would you?

Look how small, quaint, and too the point my start menu is in xp. It takes up little screen space, and I can find anything I want, just in different way from other users of the Windows product. I use it in a more classic way, but a way I was bought up. Stick shift drivers drive stick shift, they learned on it, and prefer it to automatic. I don't see why a feature like the classic start menu had to be taken out, honestly, its much less of an eye sore, let alone screen hoger compared to the Vista one, even the xp version is rather clunky.

xp still ftw.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just compilied a DVD and burnt it in Intervideo DVD Creator last night. Sadly, it took about 6 hours to compile the image for a 90 minute video!
My XP system would do the same job in less than 2 hours!

But, it's early days yet!

Ask a Question