SOLVED Whitelist for "User Account Control Settings"

Reaction score
Hello:

As I am sure tons of people have pointed out, there is no option for a whilelist for "User Account Control Settings". I have seen various tips of how to get around this, and a reference to a script called "Elevate me".

However, I am not knowledgable enough to evaluate these tips, and to know if the "Elevate me" script is safe. Would someone kinldy direct me to a method that is safe. It needs not be easy, as I can navigate myself through the registry and other places.

Thanks!

Hans L

Reaction score
In my opinion, any steps to side step UAC (User Account Control) settings is borderline to breaking it. If broken, UAC would be no better off than if you simply turned it off. If such a white list was ever created, Mal-ware could be programmed to search for this list as a way into the system by avoiding the user prompt.

I personally don't use UAC, because all the "second guessing yourself" questions get on my nerves. However if I wasn't the system administrator, I could definitely understand why the administrator would want UAC enabled. And under those conditions attempting to break UAC functionality would be disrespectful.

Reaction score
Hey Clifford. Thanks. But you must admit that there are a lot of whitelists out there (for various programs), and I have not heard a lot of complaints of "break-ins" because of them (into those programs, not Windows).

In any event, I don't use UAC either, but I would prosibly if I could create a whitelist.

Regards/Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Maybe I'm unclear as to your actual need here. If I understand correctly, you want certain programs to run with administrator privileges?

If that is it then the easiest way to do it and still not shut down UAC is to right-click on the shortcut you use to run it, choose Properties, choose the Compatibility tab, and check the box beside "Run as an Administrator". From then on, you only have to authorize Administrator privileges once, as soon as you click the shortcut, and the program will continue to have that authorization for as long as the window stays open.

Reaction score
I have a program that backs up its registry every time I close the program. The reason is that you always have its set up documented and can reinstall it with those settings if something goes wrong. Whether this is necessary or not is beyond the point ... I mention this as an example.

With UAC, I have to click on the UAC warning every time this program closes if UAC is activated. Pain in the you know what. I would want this program to be "excempt" all the time.

Are you sure, TrainableMan, that the Admin priviledges only lasts as long as the program window is open? ("... and the program will continue to have that authorization for as long as the window stays open.")

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
With the option I am talking about, yes. So for the example you specified you would just be authorizing it every time you start it rather than every time you end it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I still don't know how you would create a whitelist but I did find a way to generate a shortcut with elevated privileges that does not require the UAC confimation. Windows club explains how to do it manually HERE plus they have links to freeware programs UAC Trust or Elevated Shortcut that should help automate the process.

Reaction score
I still don't know how you would create a whitelist but I did find a way to generate a shortcut with elevated privileges that does not require the UAC confimation. Windows club explains how to do it manually HERE plus they have links to freeware programs UAC Trust or Elevated Shortcut that should help automate the process.
I found "Disable User Account Control for certain applications only" there. Thank you!

Ask a Question