UAC still anoying... can I add a program to a whitelist?

Reaction score
I turned UAC on again so my sidebar works without crashing and it is really annoying even on the lowest setting. I get 3 warnings evertime I turn on my computer from Rivatuner, RMclock, and Peerblock (actually does not start with windows anymore and when I start manually I get warning). Is there anyway I can put these into some kind of whitelist / trusted list so UAC does not bug me with programs I trust?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which sidebar is this, it seems odd that it crashes with UAC off?

I don't think there is a way to add applications to a UAC whitelist, otherwise this would open up a huge can of worms in terms of exploits.

You can start the application on boot using Task Scheduler instead which should allow you to bypass the UAC popup. For example, for RivaTuner:

- Start Task Scheduler
- Create basic task, give it a name
- Set trigger as When I log on
- Set Action as Start a program
- Point Program to Rivatuner.exe
- Set Add Arguments to: -T
- check "Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish", click finish
- Select "Run with highest privileges", OK

Reaction score
It is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate RTM... What is the command to see what the version number is? I can't remember.

This is a common problem with UAC turned off:
http://www.overclock.net/software-news/439288-mdl-fix-gadgets-windows-7-beta.html

I just really don't want to put old Vista system files on my Windows 7 machine. So I decided to just turn UAC back on.

I will try this later today... I didn't know you could do that... Thanks!

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've heard of a free program called Tweak UAC that might help. It's a stand-alone .exe (no install) and according to the site you can easily run the UAC in a "quiet mode" while you do installs or whatever and then turn the notification back on after.

Link for it is here: http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, that worked perfectly!

I will check out that prog draceena.

Reaction score
Seems I am getting a side effect of starting them with Task Scheduler. When I logon by restarting my computer the applications I started with Task Scheduler are running and work but do not appear in the notification area. If I restart login then log out and back in again they appear. Any ideas on this strange one?

Edit: If I go into task manager and kill explorer.exe and restart it the icons appear... hmmm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many different programs will behave differently if they are started "As a service".

Try changing the logon credentials to your user accounts' name & password in services.msc for the programs you want to run.

Usually running via system and/or administrative credentials on start-up as a service results in softwares disabling their system tray icon and interface/GUI.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I,m not familiar with the programs/services you mention, but I see from Ian's post that at least one (Rivatuner) runs from and exe. One other way which is available, is to search for the .exe's on those mentioned, if available. Right click and select properties - and then the compatibility tab. Down bottom left, click the square "Run as Administrator".

Reaction score
I was doing that yesterday or the day before just to double check UAC's policies since it was patched to fix an exploit.

It doesn't work. Even with "Run As Administrator" ticked, UAC still prompts you every time when it's on the highest restriction and second highest. Don't know about the others, since they're relatively useless and never bother testing them.

Reaction score
UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0 is the BEST solution

I turned UAC on again so my sidebar works without crashing and it is really annoying even on the lowest setting. I get 3 warnings evertime I turn on my computer from Rivatuner, RMclock, and Peerblock (actually does not start with windows anymore and when I start manually I get warning). Is there anyway I can put these into some kind of whitelist / trusted list so UAC does not bug me with programs I trust?
UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0 is the BEST solution you can use for
you BASIC and simplefied UAC Whitelist, try it today, it is free,
and is offered and made by the ITknowledge24.com Community.

Ask a Question