Which Version of Windows 7 Should I Choose?

Reaction score
I am taking Office classes at the local junior college.
I have Office Universit 2010 on my computer. I have 32 bit whatever.

Should I buy Windows 7 Professional?

Anyone know if Professional edition will definitely make access to Themes for formatting documents possible?

I have managed to not purchase the Windows 7 yet. In Office class I need to use the 'Themes' for documents. I have Microsoft Office University 2010. I know it says I need Windows 7.

Now that my assignments require the use of the Themes in Word, I sometimes use the school computers to do assignments.

But with my crazy work schedule I can't always make it to the school computer lab when they are actually open.

A review I read on some web site was negative about the Professional edition when it came to Word/Office. But it was great for powerpoint. ...

Shouldn't Professional be the one I choose?

Thanks

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would, however, recommend 64-bit Windows 7. It will run all your 32-bit programs, but allow you to use more RAM for better performance. Plus, 64-bit Windows 7 has a couple extra security features 32-bit Windows 7 lacks. But of course, your hardware must support 64-bit (though most hardware made in the last 5 + years does).

simpson1982 said:
You have the right specifications and good enough for your system
Since Laura never posted her computer's specifications, we don't know that.

So Lauraann, what OS are you running now? If Vista, I would find it hard to believe your school is forcing you to upgrade to Windows 7. In any case, you should run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor BEFORE doing anything, to ensure your hardware is ready for W7.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On higher RAM machines I agree 64-bit is a good idea but if her computer has 2GB or less of RAM I would stick with 32-bit.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If 2G is the maximum capacity, then I agree, but if the computer can support more (even if only 4G) I recommend 64-bit anyway. The hit is marginal, but the expansion capability is almost limitless.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sure, it will work. With 32-bit Windows 7, 1Gb is the minimum recommended. And if you are happy with the performance, that's great. No need to add more. But if you feel performance is lacking, adding another 2 Gb will do wonders - especially if you using integrated graphics. Generally speaking (depending on your starting point) adding RAM provides the most bang for your upgrade money.

Ask a Question