What is Windows Vault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul Thurrott and Rafael Rivera talk about the Windows Vault, a feature burried within Windows 7 that hasn't been talked about much so far:

At first glance, the Windows Vault appears to be a snazzy new feature to allow users to store a bunch of passwords to commonly used websites and doodads and have them Just Work(tm) when using those various services.

After fumbling around some more, I discovered Online IDs (refer to post #2, soon) which populated my credential list with all sorts of meaningless information. Things like WindowsLive:(token):name=rafæ[email protected]; serviceuri=windows_default_cred_slc and my Windows Live ID account.

In discussion with Paul Thurrott, we came to the conclusion this fancy new Windows Vault stuff was merely the never-used Stored Names and Passwords feature from Windows Vista, painted over with some heavy lipstick and given a weird brand name.
I look forward to more information on this feature becoming available! Take a look at Rafael's blog to read more.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
That's histerical! No one even knew about it! :lol:

Reaction score
Windows Vault and it's parent application Windows Credential Manager is nothing new for Windows 7. It was there from Windows XP! It just got a facelift in Windows 7 and also some spotlight.

Read about more details on Credential Manager @ http://tinyurl.com/afkhw4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question