Do i need to upgrade to Windows 8

Reaction score
Is windows 8 better than win 7.
Which Windows 8 version is good for me (now i have win 7 ultimate)
32 bit or 64 bit
What are the new features

Reaction score
I don't have a touch screen and i am not planning to buy one anytime soon

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well the $40 price (in 131 countries) should get a lot of users to switch.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Well the $40 price (in 131 countries) should get a lot of users to switch.
How about you TM?
I think I smell a new pole question.
I'm running it on a pretty fast i-5 2500 with 8 gig memory and it responds very quickly. Also boots up in about 12 seconds after BIOS. I'll keep it for $40 if I can come up with a key.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think the price is to finally get those reluctant XPers to bite-the-bullet. If I had a touchscreen I probably would, but I don't so W7 should do me fine for a while. Truth is I run just fine on some pretty old hardware (dual core, 4MB); I'm not a big gamer so it runs W7 OS, Word, Excel, Browsers, low-end games I like just fine.

Most of the money I spend these days is to keep my bicycle going and for gas to get to where I like to ride it. I've biked 540miles in the last 17 days; been trying to do 200 a week so I have 3 more days to do 60. Likely do those today and tomorrow and take Friday off then start over Saturday. Edit: Did 45 more today so now I can do an easy 15 tomorrow and take Friday off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the price is to finally get those reluctant XPers to bite-the-bullet. If I had a touchscreen I probably would, but I don't so W7 should do me fine for a while. Truth is I run just fine on some pretty old hardware (dual core, 4MB); I'm not a big gamer so it runs W7 OS, Word, Excel, Browsers, low-end games I like just fine.

Most of the money I spend these days is to keep my bicycle going and for gas to get to where I like to ride it. I've biked 540miles in the last 17 days; been trying to do 200 a week so I have 3 more days to do 60. Likely do those today and tomorrow and take Friday off then start over Saturday. Edit: Did 45 more today so now I can do an easy 15 tomorrow and take Friday off.
If I get my wish, W8 will find W7 users just as reluctant as those XPers!
In fact I just ordered a new desktop with W7! ;)
That pretty much sums up my feelings about W8's Metro interface. It'd be OK for a mobile device, but not a desktop.

BTW, that's a lot of miles to bike! :eek:

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
If I get my wish, W8 will find W7 users just as reluctant as those XPers!
In fact I just ordered a new desktop with W7! ;)
That pretty much sums up my feelings about W8's Metro interface. It'd be OK for a mobile device, but not a desktop.

BTW, that's a lot of miles to bike! :eek:
I've learned to tolerate (barely) the Metro screen by thinking of it as no more than an additional (and unnecessary) boot screen. After that, I don't see it again until the next boot up. The Metro has no place on a desktop PC. I'm getting used to the 4 step shut-down process too.:lol:

We'll find out if MS gives a damn about PC and laptop users. But as you point out, W7 is and will be available for a while.

Also, I have no plans to buy a tablet or phone just because W8 will be available on them.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think the idea is to make everything look the same from tablet to smartphone to laptop to desktop but in my opinion that's not practical. I run a much higher resolution on my PC than smart phones and most laptops can handle so I like to have multiple windows open and sized so I can see them at the same time. I like a clear desktop, usually I have only one icon on it and, to me, metro would just be a bunch of desktop icons blocking my background and I don't have touch capabilities or a plan to get them so I don't need it.

OT: It was too hot and muggy Thursday night so I finished my miles this morning with a little 18mi ride. 200 miles a week for three weeks in a row and I start over Tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hmm
lets see if i can hack into windows 8 and make it more like windows 7.

So Windows 8 is the newest of MS Operating systems to follow the path of Vista

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
:lol::lol: That's funny!
I'll leave that up to them that can hack.

Ask a Question