SOLVED Anytime Upgrade help needed

Reaction score
Next month I'm planning on using Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from Professional to Ultimate. I've got one question I need help with before doing the actual upgrade. Should I disable Norton Internet Security 2012, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, Diskeeper Professional 2011, TuneUp Utilities 2012, SSDLife Pro, HDDLife Pro and (e-mail address removed) first ?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think you should uninstall Diskeeper and TuneUp utilities and not use them at all. You don't need them. I don't think you need HDDLife Pro either. Windows 7 just does not need all that stuff. And while I am not a fan of Norton, I accept it is a good security program - however, it is known to be a big resource hog with many features you just don't need. If Norton stops serving you well, consider one of the several free alternatives, such as MSE.

Also, if I may ask, why are you upgrading to Ultimate? Understand you will see zero performance gain with Ultimate. As seen here, all you get with Ultimate over Pro is BitLocker support (which most users don't need) and multiple language support, which again, must users don't need. It is not a "better" Windows 7. It just has a few additional features, costs more, and consumes more disk space.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I agree with Digerati in that Ultimate not a significant upgrade. Why waste your money?

From what I have observed most users don't need BitLocker support or the multiple language support. There are better 3rd party apps such as TrueCrypt which is free.

Reaction score
Mainly for VHD and I'll use Bitlocker to encrypt my whole d drive Plus I want to try w8cp on this pc w/vhd.As this is the one it would be used on.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Okay - it sounds like you know what you are doing so good luck. And while those Anytime Upgrades are not known for problems, I would still backup all your critical data first.

Reaction score
I have Windows scheduled to do a full backup and system image on sundays. Other than updates, everything that would change isn't on my c: drive Whenever new software versions are released, I ditch the old versions download after downloading, saving and installing it.. Other than Windows & Programs, everything is off the ssd..

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Then cross your fingers, hold your nose and jump in! Sounds like you ready.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm ready. Won't be happening un til the 3rd in the early a.m. Just to make it easier I may run a unscheduled full backup/system image about 1 1/2 hours before doing the Anyday Upgrade. Does anyone know how long the anytime upgrade takes ? P.S. Thanks Nibs & Digerati.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would not think long. You really have most, if not all of the files on your machine already. They just need to be enabled, then a few changes in the Registry, a reboot and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
I'll bet that it's basically open up Anytime Upgrade, purchase the upgrade, wait a few minutes for what ever file to download, print out new product key, open downloaded file, enter key & reboot. It's probably basically like running Windows Update time wise.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
There's really not any download involved, it's just entering the new key and waiting for the system to "unlock" the features in Ultimate.

The install DVDs are all the same size regardless of whether or not it's Home Base, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate. It's the "ei.cfg" file that tells the install process which edition to proceed with.

Reaction score
Really. How do I enable it ? I was under the impression after reading a post Ed Bott did Friday about putting W8 CP on a Windows 7 pc using a VHD. Then he stated that Home Premium and Professional didn't have access to vhd. How do I go about it in Professional? I know I have to open Manage and then click on Drive Management. What step from there do I use ? P.S. This will be perfect my backup/image ran a little over 3 hours ago.

Reaction score
Nibs: Thanks for saving me $129.00. 40 gb.Windows 8 CP vhd created on ssd. Windows 8 CP install took roughly 10 minutes. Now while in Windows 7 I'm headed for video card driver from AMD. I doubt MSI has any Windows 8 drivers, yet but I'll check. Epson doesn't. Copy them and a few other downloads onto flash drive. Go into 8 update it, install drivers and a few programs to test it out. Nibs: The W7AU money is now going for a Blu-Ray RW drive. What's the best program for getting Blu-Ray disks to work in Media Center ?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Corel's WinDVD - best video media player there is. It plays Blu-Ray and standard DVDs.

I'm glad my hint was able to save you some money. :) I recommend you get either the 12X Lite-On or LG Blu-Ray burners. $78-79 for either one and get good reviews.

AMD has the Windows 8 drivers for their Radeon series of video cards. Go here to find them: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx then go through the "Download Drivers" selection section in the top RH part of the web page. You don't need to go to MSI for AMD Radeon drivers.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It's probably basically like running Windows Update time wise.
As I noted before, most, if not all of the features (and therefore files) are already installed on your system, they just need to be enabled and the Registry updated. So I would think the Windows Update time analogy is pretty close. Of course, there are many variables, but regardless, it will not take very long. But again, don't expect any performance changes. In fact, except for System Information entries and a couple of new Control Panel icons, I doubt you will notice any difference at all.

Reaction score
Thanks Digerati & Nibs. Now to figure out which Blu-Ray RW to get along with WinDVD and Skyrim.

Reaction score
Here's the Blu-Ray burner I purchased. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106348 I also got a deal on CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Ultra w/ Media Expression 6.5, PowerDVD Mobile & PowerDVD Remote. It's basically another Media Center minus any tv feature's. My tv tuner has software for that. Both will cover my needs, if Microsoft makes Windows 8 Pro's W7 version of WMC cost too much. They'te making WMC a add-on only AVAILABLE TO W8 Pro & Enterprize customers. It will probablt be ridiculous just like their Anytime Upgrade fee's.

Reaction score
Since you've used these software:
Diskeeper Professional 2011, TuneUp Utilities 2012, SSDLife Pro, HDDLife Pro

I highly recommended a clean install. Many impractical changes have been done to your system, and registry, especially by TuneUp.

Windows is able to maintain a stable system by its own. Improvements in speed may occur but disables/touches many configurations. I have no problem and there should be no problem with out using these. Keep your AV; and you may use SAS for scanning only, preferrably.

Reaction score
For a new o.s., a clean install is a must. When you're using Anytime Upgrade it's unneccesary, as you're only unlocking feature's in the higher up version. It's still the same version of Windows, just with feature's you didn't have access to before. Either way, I changed my mind and got the blu-ray burner and PowerDVD 12 Ultra for the burner and any mobile devices I may get. The PowerDVD 12 Ultra is quite like Media Center, with 2 exceptions. No Internet TV or TV in general. My tv tuner has software for it that solves that issue and PlayOn which I have on my pc for streaming intnet to my Xbox 360 solves the internet tv issue and then some. I've had Hulu & Youtube for a year befor Microsoft put them in the Xbox Metro update back in January. There are also, numerous scripts and plugins available for PlsyOn. Only problem is that you need a game console to use it, even though it get's installed on your pc. I have a funny feeling that Microsoft is going to rip off people getting WMC in Windows 8. They've stated that it's going to be a addon for only Windows 8 Pro & Enterprize. It won't be available in regular Windows 8 or Windows RT (tablets/ARM0. I smell a $120.+ Anytime Upgrade to get it. I just covered myself on all fronts for that one this morning. The PowerDVD is already on my pc and the burner get's here Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:

Ask a Question