SOLVED Need help with CPU upgrade

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've found a deal on a processor to replace the anemic (1.5GHz) AMD Athlon X2 3250e, that's OEM stock on my desktop. It's the X2 4450e (2.3GHz), and is compatible with the Capirona MB, according to it's specs.

However I have one concern, my stock CPU only consumes 22 watts, while the upgrade one consumes 45 watts. My PSU (a notebook type one) is rated for 90 watts, but like a notebook, it's reduced to 12 volts. Will this PSU be enough to power the newer CPU, or am I stuck with what I have?

BTW, the MB's specs listed five similar processors as compatible with my MB, and they all were 45 watt ones. This was one of them.

EDIT: There are plenty of quad core notebooks around, but I don't know about their PSU. Also, I looked up the computer's specs, and it stated that it was a 120 Watt PSU, but still, it plugs in like a notebook does.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just want to upgrade my CPU.

Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cat - if you'll notice, the increase in performance is roughly 50%, that's significant but at the same time it uses double the wattage. Your current power adapter would be crippled from the outset.

You'll have to upgrade your existing PSU to the 120 watt unit, if it's compatible with that HP desktop you currently have. If you don't you won't have enough power to run the rest of the hardware in that desktop (which really is nothing more than a glorified laptop emulating an iMac configuration).

From what I can tell, the X2 4450e is around $80 or so. Plus how much would that new power adapter cost, $80-100 more than likely. I'm not sure about that price, I just pulled a figure out of thin air on that. Have you verified that an upgrade is available for the proper 120 watt power adapter for your setup?

I personally feel you would be much better off in saving your money and then getting a true desktop that you've always wanted.

Would adding the upgrade CPU void your current warranty on the HP unit you now have? Would upping the power adapter's wattage void the warranty?

Pardon the expression, but you may be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Hang in there, save up the clams and then build yourself a nice kicka$$ setup that's a true desktop. I believe you'll be much happier in the end.

That's my humble personal opinion.
~Nibs

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Actually, I found a brand new (OEM packaging) X2 4450e for $34, including shipping. But the power was something that I was concerned about. I think that it'll be hard to find a CPU of this type that will work, or it may kill the warranty to do so.

I thought the MOBO was the main concern, as long as it's compatible, everything's cool, but it's apparently not. Also, I had just came from Thermaltake (I believe it's the name), they had a calculator, and with what little specs I could add in, it was throwing 134 watts at me for a minimum. Not good.

I was hoping for a fast, cheap upgrade, but it doesn't appear to be working out.

I still keep kicking myself in the rear for not buying that Toshiba, rather than this one. It had a small tower, which would have made future upgrades more easier.

Guess I'll keep saving for that "dream" computer.:D

Cat

Ask a Question