W7 will not install to Intel RAID

Reaction score
I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard with 2 Intel ICH10R arrays attached - 1 * RAID 10 consisting of 4 * 500GB Seagate drives and 1 * RAID 1 consisting of 2 * 2TB Samsung drives. The Windows 7 OS is currently installed on the first array.

What I want to do is install a second W7 onto the 2nd array, then all the other apps and then to remove the 1st array.

The problem is that I cannot install W& onto the second array - it will have none of it. The install goes through the language steps et all (very slowly) but stops and states that it cannot install without the RAID drivers. Clearly they are there and working since it "sees" all the drives and partitions.

Even when directed to the correct (already installed) ICH10R drivers, it refuses these - although it does seem to accept that they are compatible with the hardware. I have tried both CD and floppy drives but to no avail. the Intel drivers are the latest available - the samd from both Intel and Gigabyte.

Am I trying to do something that is not possible or is W7 being difficult?

I do remember a similar thing happening when I first installed W7 on the 1st array. However, I am certain that it just decided to work after a number of tries - I have no idea why.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gaula13

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Your motherboard manual give very concise instructions on how to install the RAID drivers to the system.

Your best bet may be to eliminate the first array and set up your two 2TB drives on the ports #0 & #1

Reaction score
Thank you Niburu2012 for the reply.

However, this I cannot do because I will lose all the data be reconfiguring the 2TB array. What I am really looking for is a migration strategy from a 1TB array to a 2TB array with no loss of data.

Unless I use another single 2 TB disc to hold the data pro tem, I will lose the data. I really do not want to use a temprary disc that is only for one time use - a waste of money.

Clearly I am aware of how to load the Intel ICH10R SATA RAID drivers since I aready have two RAID arrays on the system and they are up and running. The first has been around for about 5 years now back when XP Pro was on the system and drivers did need to be loaded at the time of a XP install..

The problem is that Windows 7 Ultimate already has these drivers and indeed the install recognises all the current partitions in both arrays. Without the drivers, it would not even be able to "see" the discs at all. The install simply refuses to use them or allow a second Windows 7 installation onto the second array. It will not even use the correct driver when it is presented to it on a floppy drive. It sees it, agrees that it is compatible (only compatible drivers are displayed) but will not go any further.

I repeat the question: Will Windows 7 allow two 32 bit installations on the same PC? I understand that it will allow a 32 biut and a 64 bit version on the same PC at the same time but will it allow two 32 bit installations? Perhaps I am trying to do the impossible.

Ideas?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Have you tried just unplugging the other drives temporarily until you have the new install done?

Also, why are you running a 32-bit OS when apparently the hardware is 64-bit capable?

You do know you will have to have two separate Windows 7 keys to run two Windows 7 installs. Only one key is allowed per one install.

Reaction score
Nigiru2012,

I am in danger of sounding very stupid. However, here goes:

1 I did not even know that 64-bit was supported! Even if I had, my apps are only 32-bit versions and I am not exceeding the addressing limit except on RAM. So why bother?

3 I try to install the 64-bit version of W7 Ultimate - same issues as for the 32-bit version.

4 I notice that the W7 install/start up assigns new drive letters to the partitions - far from helpful when my apps are on a separate partition (D) to the OS (C). It is trying to assign D to be Primary partition in the second array. Therefore, even if I could install W7 64-bit on the second array, none of my existing installed apps would work.

My conclusions to date (however misguided) are as follows:

a W7 Ultimate will not install onto a system with 2 existing ICH10R arrays - even when given the correct drivers and/or is alraedy installed. It does not matter whether this is the 32 or 64 bit version.

b W7 start up/install assigns new/revised drive letters so even if it were installed, the previous 32 bit installation would not work if the apps are on a partition other than the logical C drive. It matters not (technically not a lot) where the data is for any particular application since this can be adjusted by/under each app.

c Here is the kicker - under W7 Ultimate, there is no viable upgrade path for Intel RAID unless one is simply adding drives to an existing array - at least not on this motherboard and I doubt that it would be different on any other,

I could try your other suggestions but I am VERY reluctant to (for this understated English, please read WILL NOT) imperil the data in any way - which is, after all, why one has RAID in any event. I am prepared to try to install the new OS (64-bit) after disconnecting the "original" RAID 10 array but where does one go from there? Too many questions, I suspect, for even your patience to stand!

Furtjher help is needed please.

Thanks and kind regards.

Reaction score
I have now tried unplugging the first 4 * 500G Seagate 1TB array and a fresh install of 64-bit Windows 7.

Answer? No deal - it does not even get past the BIOS "verifying DMI Pool Data" - even after 10+ minutes..

So I cannot "simply" unplug the first RAID 10 array.

Conclusion - reinforces what I stated in my last post - there is no known upgrade path to a new larger array.

How are w all sitting on this time bomb with such complacency? Or am I missing something?

HELP!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I don't do RAID setups, at all. Too much trouble and I feel that they're really not worth it unless you want an uber fast computer.

I have no understanding of why you want two installs of Windows 7.

Perhaps you'd better try consulting your motherboard manual and reading it closely, also there are other websites that specialize in RAID assistance.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Good Luck!

Ask a Question