SOLVED W7 vs USB 3.0

Reaction score
I have a new HP computer with W7, and it came with a couple of USB 3.0 ports.
If I clean installed a retail full version of W7, would W7 recognize the USB 3.0 and automatically obtain the correct drivers for it?

Just asking because I've heard that W7 does not have native support for USB 3.0.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just asking because I've heard that W7 does not have native support for USB 3.0.
That just means the drivers will need to be downloaded via Windows Update or directly from the manufacturer. Either way the ports should still work as USB 2.0 ports, until the USB 3.0 drivers have been installed.

Reaction score
That just means the drivers will need to be downloaded via Windows Update or directly from the manufacturer. Either way the ports should still work as USB 2.0 ports, until the USB 3.0 drivers have been installed.
Hi clifford! Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can obtain the same W7 USB 3.0 driver from HP that my computer came with; I've tried looking it up at HP and I'm not convinced I found a match.
Would it be possible to copy that driver from my computer and then use it again after a W7 clean install with a retail full version?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the comeback Clifford.
First it's an HP computer, but thats all in my computer specs.

The Device manager for the driver says the manufacturer is Intel:

Intel(R) USB 3.0.eXtensibleHost Controller
File version: 1.0.0.199 (iusb3drv20111205-0207)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
The 1.0.7.248 is a slightly newer version is all. :)

Clifford you're a life saver! Thank you VERY much!
Just one more question.....does the download install automatically or does it need to be installed manually?
I don't know how to do it manually.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks a million Clifford, sure appreciate all your help! I searched all over trying to find the right driver and couldn't figure it out!
No more questions! :D

Last edited:

Ask a Question