W7 ULTIMATE HOWTO: SWITCH 32bit to 64bit?

Reaction score
I'm having problem using my toshiba laptop with the OS cause some of the programs in my current desktop isn't working on my laptop I hope I can do it myself. I don't want to pass this laptop again to our IT dept. I don't trust them at all. Hoping your help would work out for me guys.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello undead! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums Website! :ciao:

Is your Toshiba notebook x64 capable?

It is not too difficult to switch to x64 Windows 7 OS, but you have to do a clean or "custom" install. Which means during the install process of deleting existing partitions and reformatting, then install the x64 Windows 7.

Be sure to download all of the x64 drivers for you model notebook prior to the install and store them on a thumb drive or external drive or burn to a CD-RW disc.

Your product key will work with the x64 version. Do you have the x64 install disc?

If not go to: https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

Download the ISO you need and burn it to a blank DVD disc using ImgBurn which is a free application. Burn no faster than 8X speed and then verify the burn to make sure you have a good pristine disc for the install.

Reaction score
thanks for the site btw i need the iso of ULTIMATE my key can be use for 64bit and 32bit.
any direct download links you guys know?

Reaction score
hey dude. is that for real just adjusting ei.cfg then i will have 4 version of em.
i have my original. but its pretty blurry too many scratch. what do you prefer?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
My name is Nibs... not dude... different generation. Thanks! :)

You don't "adjust" the ei.cfg file, you delete it completely.

Don't use your scratched up original disc, just download the Pro x64 ISO and then tweak it as the tutorial mentions.

I have done it both ways and there is no difference at all, either during install or after except for the options listed at the beginning of the install.

I have clients that I do installs and repair work for so having a disc like that is very handy, especially when a two year old boy decides the install disc is a pretty shiny little Frisbee thing! :eek:

As long as you have a Genuine Windows 7 Product Activation Key you'll be fine for the Ultimate x64 install.

Just do each step as listed and take your time, don't rush it.

Ask a Question