SOLVED w7 SP1 Public release

Reaction score
[SOLVED] w7 SP1 Public release

I would say that KB971033 forcibly installs prior to this SP1 beta release. As part of its "genuine windows" verification process, MS downloaded this update and scanned my OS before they allowed me to download Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). At least that was my experience when I tried MSE in Feb.
etalmar,very good point welcome to w7 btw,A service pack (SP) is a Windows update, often combining previously released updates, that helps make Windows more reliable. Service packs can include security and performance improvements and support for new types of hardware as you would realise,listen I went off to research your statement and I have found the MAIN reason that KB971033 forcibly Installs,you see back when win 7 was being released all the people that wanted a free copy sort of got one FREE RTM included,up to the point that Microsoft are actually doing this to make all the hacked copies,iso downloaded freely put to sleep.KB971033:will be a big part of SP1 Lets see if catilley is right somethings in the works "So to speak"For those of you who want to be on the bleeding edge, or just want a chance to take it for a spin, Microsoft has released the first public beta of Service Pack 1 (SP1).It’s worth noting that the service pack consists of all updates released so far but that no new features will be a part of this release.
In order to download and install the Windows 7 SP1 Beta you must currently have a Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 7

at the end of the day,Microsoft themselves said,Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is coming in the first half of 2011,security has become a huge part of the SP1 they seem to be really serious in stopping all the free windows 7 O/S out there.I for one agree this is a great idea,however be that as it may I feel Microsoft know a few things we Don't or at least we are not Suppose to know.I can see a real shake up in very near future especially within Activation area of the win 7 enviroment.

Check this out good information

have an awesome week members

respectfully
jeffrey (JOB)

Reaction score

A major update normally includes all former updates. This has also been stated and confirmed by Microsoft.
1033 was listed as an "important" update , when first issued, so it is possible it will be included, without the option.
As I had it already installed, I can't confirm if SP1 also included it.
davehc good point,Beta of SP1 does include KB971033.I have noticed that it did want to check activation,I did read there is A clever little tool called RemoveWAT not only disables Microsoft’s activation subsystem, it also installs the latest anti-piracy update from Microsoft and then disables it, too!.There will always be a risk with beta Patches & with likes of the above tools etc Microsoft have a huge Job at hand I am Glad they are releasing this patch SP1 the sooner the better I say.
regards
jeffrey (JOB)

Reaction score
Hi etalmar - Welcome to w7forums

I feel the same way you do. :)

I am patient enough to wait till Windows Update has SP1 listed before I download the service pack.
Hi Clifford,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I like it here and can feel the friendly atmosphere, which is a welcome relief in comparison to so many other similar forums on the web.

I'm glad that someone else feels the same way that I do about downloading SP1 when it become publicly available. I can wait for the monthly updates, which are delivered in smaller increments, as that allows me to scrutinize exactly what MS is trying to get me to install on my OS. Some of their "recommended" updates pertain to programs that I never use, nor intend to use. Less bloat = faster system!

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Good policy, etalmar.
But, in perspective, most of driver/hardware updates are issued by computer, Microsoft are automatically informed that new updates are available, as issued by the hardware manufacturers, and the paths are, again, automatically loaded into the update system. In most cases these are not scrutenised, or hard tested, by Microsoft.
By worst experiences, even back as far as XP, has been with Video driver updates. I adopted a policy, many moons ago, that if my graphics were working for me, then video card updates were not required.
Should I, however, extend my graphics use, (I am not a great Internet game Player - but could be one day), then I would rather reach into my pocket and purchase a more modern card.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the SP1 beta forcibly installs KB971033.
The Anytime Upgrade to 7 Pro also forcibly installs the update now, when I first purchased the upgrade, this didn't happen. And KB971033 was available then, but I chose to hide it, being that I've paid for two OS's (my OEM install and my upgrade to Pro key). Plus bought a TechNet subscription from them.

Now I don't even know if I can remove the update, I don't want to risk my Anytime Upgrade key not being valid. I will say this, I once defended MS with all my heart, right on this forum, as the regulars here knows. But MS is alienating it's customers (a big no-no in sales) with this kind of crap. Sliding in a hidden update to install a paid for upgrade key is BS, no two ways about it, not to mention MS breaking their word, saying that it was "voluntary".

I'm presently in the middle of redoing my computer, putting my Linux OS's on one drive, Windows on the other. At one time, when I first joined this forum, I despised Linux, and was the creator of the thread "Linux Sucks". But that's been a while back now, and am regularly using it, in fact, I'm on it as I'm typing. If MS's plans are to treat their very own customers as criminals (not to mention lying to us), they will lose market share. There are alternatives to MS Windows, and I'm learning more about them as the days go by.

They call this "protecting" us. From what? I realize that pirates are with us, and they always will be. Not only in computing, but cable TV, power, cell phone service, you name it. I don't stand with them, I'm only making mention of it's existence in many forms.

This forced update protected me from nothing. As another member here quoted, "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining".

Cat

Reaction score

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I realize this, but that's not what was promised from the beginning. I guess that's just the American way of doing business, telling one thing, and doing another. Happens all the time, across much of business world. I guess that it's supposed to be overlooked, being that MS has over 90% of computer users using their product.

There was a time that I hoped that MS would close that less than 10% gap, but I don't now. Then, they could just flat out do as they please, and we don't want to see that happen.

However, I use both brands of OS's, as each has their own merits, their strengths & weaknesses. Hopefully, that choice will remain with us.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As far as I know, KB971033 can still be removed from the system. It will be "slipstreamed" into SP1 final release.

I far back as I can remember, nearly all service packs from MS were merely a bundle of all the past updates, patches and fixes. They never really put "new" features into them, the only one I remember was when in XP SP1 they put the USB 2.0 feature into it.

I will stay with Windows until a distro of Linux offers the ease and simplicity of installing new programs and more usable features. More GUIs and such. Just to install an ATI Linux driver is a big hassle and pain in the rear.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The latest versions of Ubuntu based versions of Linux offers a ATI/AMD "proprietary" driver that has to be activated separately from the usual round of updates. I don't know if this is the driver you're referring to, but it wasn't offered in previous versions.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I will stay with Windows until a distro of Linux offers the ease and simplicity of installing new programs and more usable features. More GUIs and such. Just to install an ATI Linux driver is a big hassle and pain in the rear.
Seldom mentioned, but definitely a downside of Linux distributions.
Some of the Linux OS's have made an effort to simplify the process of installing new programs and hardware. Unfortunately, several demand quite an intimate knowledge of the complicated procedure - certainly not intuitive.

I think I said in another thread that, over many years, with different gear, I have never yet installed a linux OS, without being faced with a host of "generic" drivers, or none at all. Whilst they remain basically free, I do not see the programmers being generous enough to use their valuable time in improving this situation.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The latest versions of Ubuntu based versions of Linux offers a ATI/AMD "proprietary" driver that has to be activated separately from the usual round of updates. I don't know if this is the driver you're referring to, but it wasn't offered in previous versions.
I know the driver you're talking about, but it is several versions back compared to the latest one available on the ATI / AMD website.

The latest one is way better, from what I've heard, than the proprietary driver.

However to install it, you have jump through two hoops, then a backward somersault followed by a half-gainer / full twist combination whilst juggling three spinning dinner plates.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's the way you apply nearly all downloads that aren't in the package manager or software portal. The exception to that is VirtualBox, it has a straight download path.

Linux is for those with patience, and have time to piss away, like I do. But if all you do is web browse, make transactions, send & receive email, it's really simple to use. No AV to constantly worry with, as well as the endless scanning of everything, no defragging, no CCleaner (this is built in, called "Computer Janitor"). One click of that, everything is cleared instantly.

But it can be a pain in the butt, especially with printers and certain wireless routers & adaptors. My fast 802.11 b/g/n adapter doesn't work, although on the box, it says Linux compatible.

It's not for everyone.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I know the driver you're talking about, but it is several versions back compared to the latest one available on the ATI / AMD website.

The latest one is way better, from what I've heard, than the proprietary driver.

However to install it, you have jump through two hoops, then a backward somersault followed by a half-gainer / full twist combination whilst juggling three spinning dinner plates.

LOL. I always get stuck on the half-gainer, I think.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This morning, on my evaluation copy of Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit), I downloaded & installed the SP1 beta, and was quite surprised at the outcome. Other than a few extra seconds wait at startup, my computer runs quite smooth. No loss of function or speed at all. In fact, it repaired a minor problem with my wired connection, I was frequently having to troubleshooting connectivity problems, that issue has been fixed with the beta SP.

I was hesitant about doing this at first, but having a evaluation copy of 7 installed, along with a recent backup of my entire computer, I felt that I had everything to gain, and nothing to lose. Other than the few extra seconds waiting for startup, the only other noticeable thing is shown on your main screen. Above the date & time, your version of Windows is constantly displayed. Mine says "Windows 7 Evaluation copy, Build 7601". That's it.

I'm sure that my computer is "phoning home" periodically, but it's ultimately going to happen anyway. At one time, even recently, I disagreed with all of these extra activation measures, but have given up fighting over it. MS is going to do whatever they feel they need to do to protect themselves from the unauthorized use of their software. And make system builders furnish their customers with a legit copy of Windows, which is the right thing to do.

Now, if only the MSE beta was as problem free.....

Cat

Reaction score

This morning, on my evaluation copy of Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit), I downloaded & installed the SP1 beta, and was quite surprised at the outcome. Other than a few extra seconds wait at startup, my computer runs quite smooth. No loss of function or speed at all. In fact, it repaired a minor problem with my wired connection, I was frequently having to troubleshooting connectivity problems, that issue has been fixed with the beta SP.

I was hesitant about doing this at first, but having a evaluation copy of 7 installed, along with a recent backup of my entire computer, I felt that I had everything to gain, and nothing to lose. Other than the few extra seconds waiting for startup, the only other noticeable thing is shown on your main screen. Above the date & time, your version of Windows is constantly displayed. Mine says "Windows 7 Evaluation copy, Build 7601". That's it.

I'm sure that my computer is "phoning home" periodically, but it's ultimately going to happen anyway. At one time, even recently, I disagreed with all of these extra activation measures, but have given up fighting over it. MS is going to do whatever they feel they need to do to protect themselves from the unauthorized use of their software. And make system builders furnish their customers with a legit copy of Windows, which is the right thing to do.

Now, if only the MSE beta was as problem free.....

Cat
Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit), I downloaded & installed the SP1 beta, and was quite surprised at the outcome. Other than a few extra seconds wait at startup, my computer runs quite smooth. No loss of function or speed at all. In fact, it repaired a minor problem with my wired connection, I was frequently having to troubleshooting connectivity problems, that issue has been fixed with the beta SP
Cat,same here & it(Beta SP1) repaired a wireless connectivity problem I was also having as well the start up was longer before I installed SP1.I also seem very happy with way my w7 x64 bit system is running as it's warranty expires in 1 day I am happy with both the SP1 & fact it works without any problems here.
YES I agree if only MSE was bug free,I could delete my Norton 360 subscription mind you it can sometimes be a life saver it did stop the Default windows 2000 SMB block which has been an on going fault with their software until windows released that SP1
Have an awesome day cat
regards
Jeffrey

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A few extra seconds at start-up? That better be a one time increase!
Remember that the SP is in it's infancy. To have it this soon, and one problem has been solved, I'm convinced that I'm doing the right thing. As time goes on, it will be even better. I got five updates to it just an hour ago.

When I say a "few extra" seconds, I mean about 10 seconds. It still fires up faster then Win 2K, XP Pro & Vista. If you have a extra computer or notebook, give it a shot.

You may be glad you did.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's kinda like when pills say a side-effect is E.D. ... that's not a side-effect, that's a screw this or I can't screw that!

If my computer is working fine and 10seconds faster w/o SP1 then ummm, NO THANKS!

Reaction score
[SOLVED] w7 SP1 Public release >

cat,
I agree members should try it,yes my system boots up much faster than any other I have used since win 3.10.If you have a x64 bit w7 installed then all you have to loose is your O/S do a back up & install the SP1 Beta I have three weeks back & its running very smooth I feel it(SP1 Beta) has repaired several issues in it's infincy,so until you try it & get the other in coming updates you will hopefully end up as suprised & as content that it has made a difference.

regards
jeffrey

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's kinda like when pills say a side-effect is E.D. ... that's not a side-effect, that's a screw this or I can't screw that!

If my computer is working fine and 10seconds faster w/o SP1 then ummm, NO THANKS!
Actually, I haven't lost 10 seconds. I gained about a minute by not having to run the internet connectivity troubleshooter every time that I tried to connect since going wired. The issue was fixed by the beta SP. These are the type of things that the final version of the pack will deal with.

For me, it was my internet connectivity. For another user, it may be something else. As Nibiru previously stated, every SP that was issued to XP improved the OS. It did the same with Vista, it is still a heavy OS to run, but the SP's improved Vista's issues to some degree. The same with Win 2K, the SP4 rollup was a major improvement.

I expect no difference with Windows 7. While my choice of installing it so soon was voluntary, someone has to test it in the real world, not just in a lab. Windows 7 itself was released as a beta, many users put it to the test, gave feedback, and helped to make 7 the OS it is today. Today, the same is being done with the future SP1, so that when the final product is released, it will be ready for everyone.

Cat

Ask a Question