W7 Installation: Device Drivers not found...

Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a W7 Home Premium, the discounted version for students, and I'm trying to install it on my Acer 6930G (500GB, ram 4GB, ...right stuff for W7).

I'm actually running W Vista x86, and I know that in order to run W7 x64 (the one I bought) I must do a custom installation from the boot. And I'm doing so, well trying to...

After the window asking for my location and keyboard input, I continue but then I get stuck.

A new window pops up asking me for a device driver...it stated "device driver not found"...

I read a lot on the internet, but that's driving me mad...

how can I solve the problem and having that OS running?!

I'm going to sue Microsoft if that OS is not gonna run... xD

Thanks all,
Hope you can help me!!

Reaction score
Hi FreddieSeven7 - Welcome to w7forums

Have you formated the drive you are installing too? This is the best way to get a clean install. You have the option to format during the install.

Reaction score
No, there's no such a opzion! It starts by asking me the language, then it goes to this window asking me for a device driver.

And, how do I format the drive? I was quite good when I had to do that during the installion of Xp, but I don't know how to install a W7 x64 on a Vista x86. I get stuck in that window!!

Reaction score
Freddie I had this when I initially installed Windows 7, it could be that Windows cannot see your Hard Disk. Mine needed the JMicron device driver to be loaded for windows to see the HD. This is because in my case the SATA HD is connected to a JMicron chip on the mother board.

Can you see any HD in the window displayed when you get the driver required message?

Last edited:
Reaction score
After selecting Custom Install you should see options that look something like this

Reaction score
Freddie I had this when I initially installed Windows 7, it could be that Windows cannot see your Hard Disk. Mine needed the JMicron device driver to be loaded for windows to see the HD. This is because in my case the SATA HD is connected to a JMicron chip on the mother board.

Can you see any HD in the window displayed when you get the driver required message?
Yes, when I'm addressed to choose my driver, I'm able to see all my hard drives.

I downloaded the file to times, the first it was around 2GB the second was around 3GB. Do you thing I should keep on downloading till I get the one I can install!???

Reaction score
After selecting Custom Install you should see options that look something like this

I wish I could get this far, but I'm stuck before it asks me to choose Custom installation. In my case there's a window appearing asking me for device drive!!!

Reaction score
Could you check in the system bios to see if ACHI is enabled for your SATA controller. If it is enabled try disabling because Windows 7 doesn't like ACHI.

Reaction score
Just thinking about this logically, what steps are going on during installation.

During POST the BIOS is controlling the hardware - no device drivers needed as its direct control, windows knows nothing about it until control is handed over after windows boots. The 1st boot device is activated based on BIOS settings so the windows install disk is read and windows setup then loads basic device drivers into memory. Windows setup then tries to take control of the hardware. If you get the screen asking about language and you can choose options with the mouse then windows can control the mouse. If you are getting a load a device driver at this point then windows cannot recognise the mouse I would suggest. Again if the keyboard lights do not illuminate (caps lock, num lock) then maybe this is the driver windows needs to continue. Are you using a standard Keyboard and mouse? Are they USB devices, it may be that windows does not recognise the USB controller on your motherboard?
Just trying to look at a step by step problem solving method.

Andy

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Could you check in the system bios to see if ACHI is enabled for your SATA controller. If it is enabled try disabling because Windows 7 doesn't like ACHI.
I believe you may be mistaken on that. I have installed Windows 7 with my AHCI enabled on the BIOS with no issues at all. Windows 7, at least for me, doesn't mind the AHCI mode, as a matter of fact it runs a little faster especially with the Native Command Queing enabled through the AHCI. It just depends on how you have it configured in the BIOS.

Now I DO know that if there are more than one hard drive installed on the motherboard the Windows 7 get confused, so to speak. I DID have issues then, so I disconnected the extra hard drives and then Windows 7 installed with no problems. When the install was finished and I was at the desktop, I just plugged in my extra drives again.

Not being critical here, just letting folks knows they can install Windows 7 with AHCI enabled in the BIOS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I wish I could get this far, but I'm stuck before it asks me to choose Custom installation. In my case there's a window appearing asking me for device drive!!!
From what is shown, it looks as if you're trying to do an Upgrade versus an Clean Install.

The best way to do a clean install is to boot the install disk from start-up, to have the DVD drive boot first. Then wipe out all partitions, reconfigure your partitions, and install Windows 7.

Ask a Question