No device drivers in the installation media

Reaction score
I just downloaded the iso file from microsoft site, then popped it in the cd/dvd drive. When the installation was just about to start, I get this msg saying: "There's no device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"

Can anybody help me understand why these drivers are not included in the iso file I downloaded from MS? What should I do now?

thanks in advance

Tropics

Reaction score
Hi Tropics - Welcome to the site :ciao:
  • Are you sure you have a good copy burned to DVD? - You could try burning at a slower speed to try for a better copy.
What exactly is your intent?
  • Are you trying to install windows 7 upgrade from Vista or XP? - Because there will not be an upgrade option for XP.
  • Are you trying to do a fresh install of Windows 7? - If so you could try Booting from the DVD?

Reaction score
I am trying to do a fresh install of win 7. I would like to make sure I have the right contents burned in my dvd. Could you or anyone tell me what I should see in the dvd after the files from the iso file is burned to a dvd?

Here are the files and folders I get with the following structure:

DVD
Session1
Track01
iso GRC1CULFRER_EN_DVD
Bootable Disc
udf GRC1CULFRER_EN_DVD

Am I supposed to see anything?

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that when I boot off of dvd drive, the dvd seems to work. I can see that it loads the files, I see the Install Windows screen OK. I click NEXT and see the next screen with the button Install Now. It is after I click the button that the Load Driver screen pops up on top of the Select the driver to be installed window. The msg in the pop up window says:

A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, cd, dvd, or usb flash drive, please insert it now.

Note: IF the windows installation media is in the cd/dvd drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

Browse OK Cancel

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Tropics,
it sounds like your missing a SATA driver.. Vista and 7 do have many included but obviously can't include them all. You need to find out what chipset your using, either Intel, ATI/AMD or Nvidia and then the model. The driver when found can be placed on a suitable media (floppy,disk or USB stick) and uploaded when needed.
If you list your motherboard I should be able to point you in the right direction..

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
As Ross says, what chipset and drive setup do you have, Tropics?

I would recommend burning a new DVD using a much slower burn speed, it is possible parts of the disc didn't burn correctly.

Reaction score
No SATA driver to proceed installation of win7 RC

Hey All

Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier but had to drive down to San Diego to see some friends.
Kougar, you think I don't have all the info. from the download or you really suspect that all the files were not burned correctly into my dvd? From the list I posted, do you see anything missing? I am currently installing ubuntu 9.04 and boy, this is a smooth, hassle-free installation. Just finished partitioned my HD and it is installing the system. I will let you guys know what the chipset is.

Once again, I thank each one of you very much for your time and knowledge.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I suspect then that the software I used may have messed up the burning process somehow. OK, I will burn it again using a different software.

Reaction score
You guys were right on the money. Got my SEVEN installed! Used INfraRecorder to burn dvd and it works.

THANKS A BUNCH

Reaction score
I'm glad you got it working :five:

If there are any other problems lets us know. We will see about getting you fixed up.

Reaction score
The installation was a great start. I am trying to install my webcam HP 2.0 Mega pixel and win7 doesn't recognize the driver for Vista. Any suggestion?

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hey All

Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier but had to drive down to San Diego to see some friends.
Kougar, you think I don't have all the info. from the download or you really suspect that all the files were not burned correctly into my dvd? From the list I posted, do you see anything missing? I am currently installing ubuntu 9.04 and boy, this is a smooth, hassle-free installation. Just finished partitioned my HD and it is installing the system. I will let you guys know what the chipset is.

Once again, I thank each one of you very much for your time and knowledge.
Hey Tropics!,

Glad to see you got things sorted...:D

Reaction score
Driver for my HP Webcam does not work

I tried both drivers even before you, Clifford, had sent me them in the forum. Disconnected webcam, installed the drivers then reconnected. Nothing happened. I think I will try another webcam I have from Creative. The other thing I need to install is my audio. By the way, my HP Photosmart 2710 all-in-one printer (scanner and copier) is working wirelessly but windows 7 is telling me that there's an update of the driver I installed yesterday but it can't install it. No idea what's going on. Gotta check further.

Reaction score
Here's the message:

1 result for "WindowsUpdate_80070490" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Reaction score
Windows 7 got installed and didn't care about the other OS installed

:)

It is typical Microsoft attitude towards anything that's not Microsoft. The installation of Ubuntu got ignored. When I restart my machine, Windows 7 starts up and that's it. I will fix it.

Reaction score
it sounds like your missing a SATA driver..If you list your motherboard I should be able to point you in the right direction..
Hi Ross,
I am hitting the same problem. I have an Asus M2N68 motherboard which looks like it uses the nVidia chipset. I'm trying to install an x64 over an existing x32 W7 Professional using a DVD. I've downloaded the chipset drivers from the ASUS website and the installer does not seem to want to use any of the drivers provided. Any pointers as to which driver is need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Alov, did you burn the DVD you are using? The original poster found out their installation media didn't burn correctly and that was the problem behind the missing drivers... if so, try burning it at a much lower speed.

I'm not sure if Windows 7 can detect NVIDIA drivers or not, but ASUS doesn't list any pre-install drivers on its website for Windows 7 with that motherboard, so I'd tend to think it didn't need any... The chipset file you downloaded is an installation package meant to be used in windows, and won't work as a preinstall driver.

Reaction score
Did you burn the DVD you are using?
No, it came in the full W7 Professional retail box. A Microsoft original.

However, I not sure why W7 is looking for drivers. At the driver load time, I can see and browse all disks. USB, DVD, X and C drive. (Does the installer boot in 64 or 32 bit?)

I'm using a reasonably old DVD drive. An LG GSA-4082B using a Parallel ATA interface. Could that be the issue?

Any ideas or suggestion on how to fix appreciated.

Ask a Question