SOLVED W7 download/install fail

Reaction score
Bought the W7 via website/offer and as such its a digital copy.
When downloaded it looks like this on the desktop or wherever you downloaded it:

Running the .exe should usually extract a folder with the following contents:

However, when I try this, I get this message at 99% completion:

Ive gotten this regardless of .exe and related file placement, i.e. folders, desktop etc. And Ive redownloaded it to rule out a bad file download.
Ive also made sure to change the folder properties, unchecking the read-only option.
After i apply and ok the dialog box - it ignores me and reverts back to read-only. I have admin rights also.

Any ideas what Im doing wrong? Cos, obviously, im doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Turns out every folder I have/made/make is read only, and I cant change it....

Reaction score
Have you tried copying the files to a memory stick or cd and retrying the setup files on a different computer at all

Reaction score
Well no not yet, I will now, but im more concerned about my inability to do the simple task of unchecking read-only from folder properties....

----------------

Okay, now my E: is broken.

Anytime I try to click-drag an item onto the E: window to burn, I get this message:

"Windows has encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want windows to do?

Retry Skip Cancel"

Apparently my DVD burner has lost the ability to burn....????

WHAT IS GOING ON

--------------

Got it burnt via Nero, tried it on a Vista machine. Same failure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OKKKAYYYYY.
so
ignore the error message, its a load of bs. get the folder created, aka "expanded setup"

download this little thing : http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...124-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l-oscdimg.zip

called oscdimg, and stick it in WINDOWS\system32 folder.
Next run cmd prompt, ( start>run>type cmd ) and type the following:

oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\<INSERT YOUR DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY>\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "C:\<INSERT YOUR DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY>\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

SO, for example, if it was on the desktop, it would be:

oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

-----

Thanks to SIW2 for this, and various forums I trawled looking for the information.

ALSO NOTE - the directory "documents and settings" are for XP users, for Vista I believe its replaced with "user\[insert name]"

Let my mistakes and anguish pave the way for others to come!

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the resolve :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Turns out every folder I have/made/make is read only, and I cant change it....
It's supposed to be read only. :)

OKKKAYYYYY.
so
ignore the error message, its a load of bs. get the folder created, aka "expanded setup"

download this little thing : http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...124-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l-oscdimg.zip

called oscdimg, and stick it in WINDOWS\system32 folder.
Next run cmd prompt, ( start>run>type cmd ) and type the following:

oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\<INSERT YOUR DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY>\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "C:\<INSERT YOUR DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY>\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

SO, for example, if it was on the desktop, it would be:

oscdimg -u2 -b"C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" -h "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\expandedSetup" C:\7.iso

-----

Thanks to SIW2 for this, and various forums I trawled looking for the information.

ALSO NOTE - the directory "documents and settings" are for XP users, for Vista I believe its replaced with "user\[insert name]"

Let my mistakes and anguish pave the way for others to come!
Interesting trick! I'm going to have to look at this one... And you are correct, Doc & Settings was thankfully replaced with User\AccountName.

Ask a Question