VOB Playback

Reaction score
I am having the hardest time trying to play a vob file in WMP12. I have Windows 7 installed on an Acer laptop x64. When I double click the vob file it takes me to WMP but nothing after that point. If I go to the WMP interface and go to file and click open it will work that way but it should be as easy as a double click to get it to play, so there's no need wasting time opening up unnecessary windows. I have Sharks Windows 7 codecs installed. We tried troubleshooting it last night to no avail, so I guess I'm coming to the end so any help would be great.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would uninstall that codec pack and install K-Lite to see if it makes a difference, maybe Shark's doesn't include the VOB format. K-Lite comes in Basic, standard, full, and mega; standard plays all the video types I seem to need.

NOTE: These codec packs often include their own player which I go to advanced install options and remove so it is not installed; if you really want to try an alternative player then get the best:VLC (IMHO).

The truth is, not all VOB files contain video so the one you are trying may just be empty.

More Info: the VOB DVD encoding format is not commonly used to maintain videos stored on a computer, primarily because of the huge file size and the fact that it takes many files stored in folders to contain a single movie. It is much more common to RIP a movie to a single AVI or MKV file, or to formats commonly used on IPODs like MOV or MP4.

Reaction score
You made a lot of good points however the .vob's will play in WMP I just have to go into the interface and open it the file by choosing file/open and then it plays. I just want it to play by a simple double click like it's supposed to. You don't even need a codec pack to play a vob in WMP 12. Somewhere, probably in the registry the double click is screwed. It opens fine by Nero when I try and open it with that, but I want to be able to open it with WMP12. If I can't figure out what's wrong I will probably use Nero Showtime or VLC. Thanks my friend.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You don't even need a codec pack to play a vob in WMP 12.
I did see where ver12 it is supposed to play VOBs natively but I thought it was possible the other codec pack you installed might have had some effect. I know mine plays VOBs if I simply click on it but I have K-lite installed & I've never installed Shark's codec so I don't know what all it changes. Plus, you never know what might get written to the registry on install - maybe something that patches whatever is wrong ?! Anyway, it was just an idea to try it.

I do like Bass's idea to try a WMP repair.

Reaction score
You are the MAN! You hit it right on with the fix it solution. I had 3 areas of corruption in the Media Player. They wanted me to rebuild the library for a corruption in the library search or browsing area, but I passed on that part for the time being. I downloaded the portable fix-it to my desktop which has about 10 areas to fix Microsoft problems.
Thank you so much. Indeed this has solved my problem to the max. Do we need to mark this as solved anywhere? If so you can mark it or let me know whhere and I will mark it, but thanks again my friend. Guys like you and everyone else that put forth suggestions that make these forums worth visiting.

Reaction score
After I ran the repair it worked and then I tried it again and it won't play. I know there are no corruptions so it must have something to do with something that I'm just not seeing.

Ask a Question