SOLVED Very Slow Download Speeds

Reaction score
I recently did a Windows 7, 64 bit re-install on my Dell Inspiron N5110 R. I'm able to connect to the internet, but web pages load up intermittently. But I'm having big problems streaming video and downloading files. I have a cable connection and a recent download estimate was for an hour for a 14 MB file. Any idea what I can do to speed things up? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Make sure you're completely up to date on Windows Updates.

Then, install drivers for your system from here. I'd at the very least install the correct chipset driver and network driver to overwrite the crappy native ones Windows likely installed.

Reaction score
I am facing the similar sort of problem, downloading and streaming is pretty slow. Some one told me to try a malware cleaner program.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your computer has viruses or malware installed they can definitely slow your computer but if your computer is clean of those things it is more commonly a problem with your ISP provider or with the download source. Always run a good anti-virus software and avoid unsafe sites/software to help minimize your risks.

Many ISPs can throttle downloads or you may just need to see if higher bandwidth is available from your Internet Service Provider and decide if it is worth the extra cost.

Or it may be the source of the download. Many free download sites limit the bandwidth provided to the downloaders.

Your anti-virus software may also be a problem, many are bloated and slow and since they have to scan everything first it can make it appear slow.

Ask a Question