Value Added Tax

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
VAT in the UK is due to be set at 17.5% as of 1st January up from 15% this will affect on line prices of Computer components, Delivery (as transport fuel will increase at the pumps) so if your thinking of a new Graphics Card / Motherboard etc don't think to long !

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
And no doubt the Council Tax will follow later this year.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Gosh. I am English, but for family reasons have retired to Denmark on a British pension. How I wish circumstances could have allowed me to retire to the UK.
Here there is only one vat. It is 25% across the board - absolutely no exceptions. I am certain that, if the Danish government could find a way to measure the air we breathe, they would charge 25% for that also.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I guess I am lucky that the Goods and Services Tax in my neck of Canada is only 13%. Of course that's after almost 50% of my paycheck waves bye-bye to go to Federal & Provincal Taxes

Reaction score
Gosh. I am English, but for family reasons have retired to Denmark on a British pension. How I wish circumstances could have allowed me to retire to the UK.
Here there is only one vat. It is 25% across the board - absolutely no exceptions. I am certain that, if the Danish government could find a way to measure the air we breathe, they would charge 25% for that also.
But isnt the trade off no pikeys/chavs and a generally better service/product everywhere you go?
I know thats the case in scandinavia, where its like equiv. to £8 a beer etc etc..

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Pikeys and chavs? Not sure, but is that a general reference to hooligans and the like. Plenty of those. There are serious instances most nights in the major towns.
Denmark is, of course, in Scandinavia. Frequent visits to the UK do not show me any edge that Denmark has over the UK with service and quality.
Average price of a pint is about £5
Have a look here. Denmark (Copenhagen is ranked 7th (above New York!). Oslo, Norway (Also in Scandinavia) is above UK.
http://www.citymayors.com/features/cost_survey.html

I realise these are capitals, but they indicate a comparison.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ouch, £5 pints!

Around here, it's anywhere from £2.50-£3. In London it's more like £3.50ish

I've not noticed many immediate price increases as yet after the UK VAT rise, so perhaps they are absorbing price rises for the next month or two.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I was waiting for the 5870 to drop in price, now it's gone up even more! Almost £400 at some retailers.. Way too much!
C'mon Nvidia release fermi already..

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I was waiting for the 5870 to drop in price, now it's gone up even more! Almost £400 at some retailers.. Way too much!
C'mon Nvidia release fermi already..
Save for another month or two and go HD 5970....you wont be sorry ;)

Reaction score
My wife was in at work over the weekend adjusting the VAT rate. She works for an Internet retailer of bedding.

Reaction score
Ouch, £5 pints!

Around here, it's anywhere from £2.50-£3. In London it's more like £3.50ish

I've not noticed many immediate price increases as yet after the UK VAT rise, so perhaps they are absorbing price rises for the next month or two.
I noticed it immediately, from my list of upgrades. theyve shot up by about £10-15
Student nights! £1 everything, haha.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's not called the same in the US, but our government is always looking at ways to either create new taxes or jack up the ones in place. They spend, then tax. Some states already have an internet sales tax, mine (North Carolina) is about to pass it. They claim they need the money because the internet purchases denies them the tax revenues that retail stores provide. This is bulls##t, in my opinion. Internet sales contribute to less pollution, wear & tear or our cars and the waiting in line and traffic aggrevation. Cleaner air is priceless to me, but our government doesn't seem to agree. They claim that they want cleaner air, but their actions suggest otherwise.

Reaction score
/me walks right outside and kisses a small patch of Michigan, America soil for tax-free internet purchases.

;)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Internet sales tax?!? How does that work? Every time you make a purchase online they add a tax? Or do you just mean that your price for internet will have a tax added to it but otherwise shopping online and whatnot is not taxed?

Reaction score
that sounds like something the british will do soon enough. i mean, ontop of the already retardedly high tax inplace for internet goods.

Reaction score
We don't have a tax for internet goods! We only have VAT which is charged at the point of sale.
What are you talking about?

Ask a Question