Software costs/usage limits/value.

Reaction score
I want to get a discussion/debate going (poll is too limited) about what users think of the prices charged for software (CD or download) and any usage limits it may have.

Broadly speaking I see there are 3 types of software.

1/ Purchased and requires license key to activate. One install to one license. Free updates for life of software (think O/S as example).

2/ Purchased and requires key to activate but can be re-installed as required and some option of updates.

3/ Purchased but no key required to activate, may require registration but no limits on re-install and no updates provided (or limited updates available).

For the purpose of this discussion we will exclude freeware/trial-ware/ open source/ donation and pre-installed software.
Intent being you are the original owner/user/purchaser of software.
Specific software can be named as example but do not side track thread with discussion about the various merits of any given software.

The question is:
What do you think is a reasonable price to pay in those classifications.
What do you think is reasonable in terms of usage IE re-installing/getting updates.

Consider also from the perspective that sometimes s--t happens and we need to re-format and start again. Sometimes more then once.

Now I know from experience that most software suppliers are reasonable if you explain your situation to them and will issue you with a new product key but if your really unlucky what happens if you need to re-install multiple times.?

My thoughts to get the ball rolling.

I think license keys should be registered to the original purchaser who when he first registers creates a unique password account so that he can access the program key in the future should he need to re-install his software. I think that key/password should be for the life of the original purchaser to be able to be used on one machine at any one time. Note one machine may not mean the same machine, just not more then one at any time.
In terms of O/S software I think full install prices (retail) are about on average $100 too much and I think that once your a particular product user that the company should have a loyalty program whereby when they release a new O/S that previous registered users can get a full install (not upgrade) copy for a discounted price. Say $150.

In terms of other software I would be prepared to pay more upfront if it meant a guaranteed access to free updates for the life of the original owner. If we are talking about single purpose software say anti-virus then I think around $150 (maximum I would pay).
If update access had to be renewed every 12 months then I think the initial purchase price should be no more then $80 with a yearly subscription of no more then $15 to keep getting updates.

I think any software you pay for is yours and should remain active/usable for the life of the original purchaser. Irrespective of you opting to renew your update subscription the basic program should remain functional, I had one where the entire program ceased to work after 12 months and the renewal fee was the same price as the original purchase.

Any subscription cost to continue to get updates should only be a 10-15% cost of original purchase.

For software that has no update option then I think a max of $100 might be reasonable depending on the functionality of the software (simpler programs = lower price) (more complex = higher cost).

So lets get the discussion going.

Reaction score
All software other than the operating system should come with atleast the ability to install on 3 computers. Some software does allow this. The ones that don't need to. How many people have just one computer ? Not many. I'm sure.
I want to get a discussion/debate going (poll is too limited) about what users think of the prices charged for software (CD or download) and any usage limits it may have.

Broadly speaking I see there are 3 types of software.

1/ Purchased and requires license key to activate. One install to one license. Free updates for life of software (think O/S as example).

2/ Purchased and requires key to activate but can be re-installed as required and some option of updates.

3/ Purchased but no key required to activate, may require registration but no limits on re-install and no updates provided (or limited updates available).

For the purpose of this discussion we will exclude freeware/trial-ware/ open source/ donation and pre-installed software.
Intent being you are the original owner/user/purchaser of software.
Specific software can be named as example but do not side track thread with discussion about the various merits of any given software.

The question is:
What do you think is a reasonable price to pay in those classifications.
What do you think is reasonable in terms of usage IE re-installing/getting updates.

Consider also from the perspective that sometimes s--t happens and we need to re-format and start again. Sometimes more then once.

Now I know from experience that most software suppliers are reasonable if you explain your situation to them and will issue you with a new product key but if your really unlucky what happens if you need to re-install multiple times.?

My thoughts to get the ball rolling.

I think license keys should be registered to the original purchaser who when he first registers creates a unique password account so that he can access the program key in the future should he need to re-install his software. I think that key/password should be for the life of the original purchaser to be able to be used on one machine at any one time. Note one machine may not mean the same machine, just not more then one at any time.
In terms of O/S software I think full install prices (retail) are about on average $100 too much and I think that once your a particular product user that the company should have a loyalty program whereby when they release a new O/S that previous registered users can get a full install (not upgrade) copy for a discounted price. Say $150.

In terms of other software I would be prepared to pay more upfront if it meant a guaranteed access to free updates for the life of the original owner. If we are talking about single purpose software say anti-virus then I think around $150 (maximum I would pay).
If update access had to be renewed every 12 months then I think the initial purchase price should be no more then $80 with a yearly subscription of no more then $15 to keep getting updates.

I think any software you pay for is yours and should remain active/usable for the life of the original purchaser. Irrespective of you opting to renew your update subscription the basic program should remain functional, I had one where the entire program ceased to work after 12 months and the renewal fee was the same price as the original purchase.

Any subscription cost to continue to get updates should only be a 10-15% cost of original purchase.

For software that has no update option then I think a max of $100 might be reasonable depending on the functionality of the software (simpler programs = lower price) (more complex = higher cost).

So lets get the discussion going.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm willing to pay for an OS (at reduced cost on eBay). All other software should be free to consumers and sold to corporations. And upgrades within a version and up to the next full iteration should be included. So if a company buys version 6.0 then they get 6.1, 6.5, 7.0, 7.1, 7.9 for free but pay to go to 8.0.

Too often you report a bug and they don't fix it until the next full release - now that's not right is it; it was supposed to work in the version I paid for but if I want the fix I have to buy the next version to get it - that's just "bloody rubbish!" (I just finished the episodes of old UK TV "Spaced" :) )

Reaction score
Well, I pay for games and some apps, but sometimes I'm downloading software for free. (Downloading using BitTorrent - without paying for 'em - isn't illegal in the country I'm living in right now.)

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
All software (except the OS) should definately have free upgrades to the next version and then a 75% discount / 50% discount / 25% discount for each version thereafter to reward you for purchasing the product AND should be useable on ALL pc's in the household.

All OS's that you pay for should have 50% discount for the next version.

Ask a Question