Added router+computers do not see existing network (I think)

Reaction score
I have a modem/router Motorola Surfboard SBG-6580 that connects to a PC and a Mac. They are on the same network/homgroup/etc.

The modem/router also connects to another Motorola router (VT2442), reinstalled a few days ago (I have used it a lot in the past), which is connected to 2 PCs. These two PCs are on the same network (Network 2)/homegroup/etc. However, they cannot "see" the PC/Mac above.

In other words, there are two networks/homegroups/etc. that do not communicate.

My question is simply how I do go about to make all four computers be on the same network/homegroup/etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Reaction score
The Motorola VT2442 does not have wireless capabilities does it? So is your surfboard wired to the VT2442 by Ethernet cable? Which Router is connected to your internet? Generally when you have two routers one simply works as an access point rather than a router.
See ComputerNetworking.
You are right, TrainableMan, VT2442 is connected to the modem/router by Ethernet cable. It is the modem/router that is connected to the Internet.

.....................PC.................PC
.......................|....................|
Internet --- SBG-6580 ----- VT2442
.......................|.....................|
.....................Mac.................PC

(Dots to prevent left-justification).

Hope this helps.

Hans L

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Both routers are set to use different IP addresses? And DHCP is disabled on the VT2442? Source: TechSupportforum

And are you trying to use Homegroups? I think with any OS other than Win 7/8 involved that you need to use Workgroups rather than Homegroups.

Reaction score
Both routers are set to use different IP addresses? And DHCP is disabled on the VT2442? Source: TechSupportforum

And are you trying to use Homegroups? I think with any OS other than Win 7/8 involved that you need to use Workgroups rather than Homegroups.
Don't know about the IP addresses. Will check DHCP. The original PC and Mac correspond on Homegroups.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This SmallNetBuilder article talks about how your access point (VT2442) has to have its' IP address set above or below the DHCP server addresses being used by the SBG-6580.

Ask a Question