SOLVED Upgrading Netbook from XP to Windows 7

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to put windows 7 on my net book. Dont have a dvd drive and dont understand how to put the iso onto a usb. I have windows xp sp3 on it now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to run the W7 Upgrade Advisor to be sure your netbook can handle W7.

For most netbooks you would want to go buy the 32-bit version of W7 Home Premium. Did you already buy W7 with a product key? Without a product key your installation will stop working in abut 30 days so you will need to go buy a copy of W7 Home Premium by then..

You will also need a 4GB Flash Drive. It will be formatted so if it is not empty be warned that all data will be erased.

Then you download the x86 (32-bit) W7 Home Premium SP-1(U) ISO as well as the Microsoft USB/DVD Downloader Tool. You run the downloader tool pointing it to the W7 ISO file and have it write the W7 Installation image to your USB Flash Drive.

Back up all your data to an external drive or, better yet, create an image of your netbook so that if things don't work out with W7 you can always restore WinXP. Then boot the netbook FROM the W7 Installation flash drive (if WinXP comes up then it is not set up correctly). And you install.

Reaction score
Ok I got a key but dont have a disk. And i got a Heirons disk to create a image but this net book dont have a dvd drive.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your key is for what version of Windows 7? And do you have a 4GB (or larger) flash drive?

Reaction score
I do its a meanwell 4 gb flashdrive and im wanting to put w7 ultimate in it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Keys are version-specific so the product key you bought must be an Ultimate key.

Did you run the Upgrade Advisor? Does it say you have enough space? Are you definitely installing the 32-bit version?

Download the ISO for the version you need HERE (x86 is the 32-bit version). Download the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool and install it.

Microsoft said:
  1. Click the Windows START button, and click WINDOWS 7 USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL in the ALL PROGRAMS list to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
  2. In the SOURCE FILE box, type the name and path of your Windows 7 ISO file, or click BROWSE and select the file from the OPEN dialog box. Click NEXT.
  3. Select USB DEVICE to create a copy on a USB flash drive ... .
  4. If you are copying the file to a USB flash drive, select your USB device in the drop-down list and click BEGIN COPYING.

Reaction score
I am installing 32 bit and thanks for your help sir

Reaction score
How do i do the clean install? And do i wipe the hard drive

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When going from XP to Windows 7 there is no choice but a custom install so that is the only choice you will be offered.

Does your hard drive have more than one partition? If it has a system restore partition then you might want to drop all partitions and repartition as a single partition. Once W7 is installed you cannot use the "system partition" to return to WinXP so it is just wasted space.

I like to format the Win XP OS drive (or new partition). If the drive is not reformatted before installation then the install will attempt to create a 100mb partition for its' own use, yet if it cannot create this partition it still works fine. If WinXP is still on the drive when W7 is installed, everything on the partition gets moved to Windows.old. Mostly this folder just takes up space and you will have to Take Ownership of windows.old if you want to delete it once W7 is working.

Before you repartition or format WinXP you probably want to download and install Windows Easy Transfer for WinXP. Then, while still in XP, you run Windows Easy Transfer and have it back up all your data & settings to a .MIG file and store it to your external drive. Then do your repartitioning or formatting. Then put in the W7 USB, set your BIOS to boot to the USB first (prior to the hard drive), and boot to the flash drive. Install Windows 7. Install all your programs. Run Windows Easy Transfer (comes preinstalled with W7) to restore your data & settings.

NOTE: If you end up repartitioning and you bought an upgrade key, it may tell you no Windows is installed (because repartitioning wiped it out). If you get this message then simply run the installation a second time and it should work fine.

Reaction score
Ok now its telling me windows 7 build 7601. windows is not ginuine

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That means the key you bought isn't valid. It is common for pirates to sell the same key over and over until it goes bad. If you report to them that it is invalid, they will likely offer you another one and that key may work from a month to as long as 4 months but it too will eventually show up as Not Genuine, often after it is too late to recover your money. Instead, report it as invalid and do not accept a replacement, demand your money back. If you bought it on eBay then start a fraud dispute within 45 days I believe. If you paid via credit card you also have that way to recover if you file a fraud claim, normally within 90 days. So don't delay.

This is why we only recommend you buy from a reputable source and get a DVD and a key. The truth is the criminals are very good at pirating the DVD and packaging too, so on sites like eBay you may end up with fake DVDs too.

Reaction score
I havent bought a key yet i was going to use it for 30 days to make sure it worked.

Reaction score
nope i skipped it then doing updates thats when it popped up.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You also can't update until you are activated; windows updates are only provided for licensed installs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You got it installed so that's good. Next step is to buy an Ultimate DVD and product key from a reliable source.

Reaction score
i went ahead and did the home premium since it was cheaper to get a key for. Where would be a good place to get one? There are places online like windows.com that has them for 30.00 and they say its genuine but they email you a key.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can by a Home Premium System Builders license for $140 or ultimate for $183 from Newegg. Since you have 30 days you might subscribe to all of Neweggs newsletters and you can often get Home Premium for as low as $110 or they sometimes offer $10 off any version.

Note: A System Builders License can never be moved to another computer and it is supported by the installer, not by Microsoft.

Online keys are a scam as I explained above. You might find a DVD with product key on eBay but as I explained those may also be a scam, my luck has been 50:50 there (bought 4, 2 were legitimate).

Reaction score
Ok thanks again you have helped me out alot. Now this was my first time to ever do something like it wasnt to bad.

Ask a Question