Upgrading Motherboard

Reaction score
First I'll say hi since I am new to the forums. Quick question, normally when installing a new motherboard and cpu I would just reinstall windows. However, I have heard that Windows 7 is somewhat nicer and sometimes will either automatically install the new drivers or let you boot into safe mode where you can install the new drivers. If this is true I would much rather do this than a clean install. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums xMrAx :). I've replaced the motherboard on a system - from a P35 to P55 chipset IIRC, still sticking with an Intel chipset which may have smoothed the transition. Normally I'd have done a fresh install, but I was helping a friend and needed to get the system up and running ASAP to get data from it.

If you don't want to re-install the OS, you could always give it a try and see how it goes - it should work, even if it may be more optimal to go from a fresh install (it will try and install most new drivers on the first boot if it can). Just be 100% sure you've got the data backed up already so you've got nothing to lose - as there's still a chance that the switchover doesn't go down well. You may have more problems if your IDE/SATA controller changes and you may need to re-activate Windows.

Reaction score
Also mind that when you have done such major upgrade as yours, you'll need to activate 7 by phone if you go reinstalling it. Or even contact Microsoft support.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Understand that only retail license are legally transferable when "upgrading" a motherboard as a new motherboard is considered a new computer. If you currently have an OEM System Builder license, you will need to buy a new license. If you have an upgrade version, the original qualifying license must be a retail version if you want to transfer it. If the original qualifying version is an OEM, you cannot transfer it and must buy a new license. Note the following:
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 824125, near the bottom under More Information (my bold added),
Users who run a Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) operating system may upgrade or replace most of the hardware components on the computer and still maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software provided by the OEM, with the exception of an upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard is considered to create a new personal computer. Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required. If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty.
Microsoft OEM Licensing FAQ, under System Builder Licensing, 8th Q&A,
Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.
Understand this is an industry policy, not just Microsoft's. And please note, I am just the messenger!

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going from 755 to X58 to I'll see what happens. I'll go ahead and back up my data though just in case. Thanks.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going from 755 to X58 to I'll see what happens
Well, unless you have a retail license, and most people don't, you will need to budget for a new Windows license anyway. And since your new hardware will require all new drivers, I recommend a fresh install - otherwise, you will end up with a hard drive cluttered with obsolete drivers from day 1 - there's no harm in that so perhaps it's just me. But when I start new, I want everything to be fresh and new. In any case, definitely back up any data files you want to transfer.

Ask a Question