Upgrading hp p6654y please help

Reaction score
I am wanting to upgrade psu and video card. My computer has 250w psu.I was thinking 600 to 750w. video card I want to run Diablo3 so geforce gtx 460 or 550. Maybe even a ati radeon, not sure which?

I no nothing about amps and contacting psu to all items motherboard gpu etc....

What I need
I have a ati radeaon 4200hd intergrated. pci 16x slot

Does it mater if it a pcie 2.0 16x? thanks everyone

My computer is an HP Pavilion

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well nobody answered you so I will say I'm not a hardware expert but I have replaced a few PSUs and will offer what I can ...

wiki said:
PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are fully backward compatible with PCIe v1.x cards. PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v2.0 will work with the other being v1.1 or v1.0a.
Source

...so a PCIe 2.0 card should work even if your slot is 1.1 but of course it will be slower.

Unplug the power cord first! Hooking up a new power supply is very easy once you open the desktop PC; the hard part is often removing the front face w/o breaking the plastic clips that hold it on. Here is a [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]emuiTZ9K49M[/MEDIA]"]youtube video[/ame] that gives you a good idea what to expect. In addition to the video, sometimes there may be a fan housing (big plastic cone to direct the air flow) over your CPU which you have to remove if it's in the way and sometimes it is screwed on.

I prefer a modular PSU because then you only use cables you actually need but if yours is not modular then pull ties come in handy to secure the extra cables out of the way. The 460 requires 2 PCIe power cables so your new PSU will need that. Also another mod here usually mentions it should be an 80 plus gold seal so that you know it is good quality. 600W should be plenty if all you are adding is the new PSU, the GTX460 specs say minimum is 450W.

Ask a Question