Upgrading from RC to Full Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am loving Windows7, and I really want to keep using it, so when my RC ends, I am considering buying it.

A question: If I buy the Professional version, which I probably will, could I downgrade from Ultimate RC onto the real Professional without having to un-install everything and backup my files, then put the stuff back on? This would save a lot of effort.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Keep in mind the Release Candidate is BETA code... there's been plenty of changes between build 7100 and 7600... you wouldn't want to base a new OS installation off of buggy, beta codebase.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
^ Wise words, a clean install of Windows 7 Professional would be way better any freeware you install would be the downloaded latest and retail applications you use can be re downloaded and activated with the product key you have already purchased, everything all fresh :)

Reaction score
Darn.. I was just thinking if I went "Repair" in the Win7 disc boot menu, maybe it would work and re-write the old beta files.. Oh well. *sigh*

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
A repair doesn't automatically rewrite the entire installation/files, it only fixes detected problems with key system files. ;)

Another thing, is that there is a great deal of additional system monitoring and analysis code built into the RC that likely is not present in the final RTM install. For the sake of argument lets assume a repair "overwrote" all the install files... it still wouldn't overwrite files that don't exist or aren't present in the RTM installation. You'd be left with a corrupted install because there are GB's of difference between the RC install size and the RTM install size. Thankfully that's not how the system works.

Reaction score
Yeah, I was hoping it would realise the RC files were different and do the job. But good pint about the monitoring files in the RC, I didn't think of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question