Upgrade Windows 7 RC to Final / RTM

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you noticed any problems in doing this? I did a clean install myself (and would suggest others do to) to make sure that there are no RC leftovers on the system which could cause bugs down the line.

Welcome to the site :ciao:

Reaction score
I would rather do a full install becuase their will be loads of old beta stuff on your sustem that the fresh install probably won't overide.
However, if I were to give it a go, is it the RC install files or the new RTM intall files?

Reaction score
WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG. I AM THE AUTHOR OF THIS ARTICLE.

Hey guys. :) The problem I was seeing with all of these upgrade articles is that none of them lead you through the steps of upgrading from the RC to the RTM if your RTM isn't Windows 7 Ultimate.

Well, I had had quite enough of that, so I wrote a guide of my own that walks you through the steps of upgrading the Windows 7 RC to any version of the RTM. RC to Professional, RC to Home Premium, RC to Starter... Whatever you'd like. The article can be found here: Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to any retail version

Ian: Absolutely FEEL FREE to remove this if w7forums runs its own article on the same topic!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian: Absolutely FEEL FREE to remove this if w7forums runs its own article on the same topic!
Don't worry Thrax, I'm always glad to see links to your articles on here as they are always a great read :top: There might be an article on it at some point in the future, but there's no harm in having more than one reference on it :)

Reaction score
WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG. I AM THE AUTHOR OF THIS ARTICLE.

Hey guys. :) The problem I was seeing with all of these upgrade articles is that none of them lead you through the steps of upgrading from the RC to the RTM if your RTM isn't Windows 7 Ultimate.

Well, I had had quite enough of that, so I wrote a guide of my own that walks you through the steps of upgrading the Windows 7 RC to any version of the RTM. RC to Professional, RC to Home Premium, RC to Starter... Whatever you'd like. The article can be found here: Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to any retail version

This will definitely help me. I can't find some of my disks for re-install right now so it will make it easier to transition by not having to search for disks and downloads to re-install stuff.

Reaction score
Have you noticed any problems in doing this? I did a clean install myself (and would suggest others do to) to make sure that there are no RC leftovers on the system which could cause bugs down the line.
I just installed Win 7 Ultimate Signature Edition although I did a full install I did not delete the old Win 7 build 7100, there was quite of bit of files/directories etc. left behind.
No major problems yet, just thought I would let everyone this method does not actually do a clean install.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question