SOLVED Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate

Reaction score
Attempted to upgrade MS Windows 7 Home Premium to MS Windows 7 Ultimate from OEM DVD-ROM Upgrade Edition failed via "Install" from DVD-ROM Auto RUN. While clicking on Install, and it suggested to try with "Windows Upgrade Anytime" option. The Windows Upgrade Anytime required two KEYS: (1) Upgrade Anytime Key and (2) Product Key from DVD-ROM label. However, I did not have the Upgrade Anytime key; thus, it failed me again!

The Questions are:
(1) "Can OEM Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Edition be upgraded directly from Windows Home Premium that residing in my Notebook"? (2) Should roll back to Windows Vista first, and then upgrade from there to Windows 7 Ultimate?
Please share and advise me promptly. THANK YOU
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I merged your two threads into one. Double thread creation or posting will NOT speed up any responses you may be looking for.
Thanks for understanding!
~Nibs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
What I would do in your case is do a clean install. First you have to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD ROM drive, save changes and exit out. Then load upgrade DVD into CD/DVD ROM drive, then immediately restart your computer. On restart you should get a black screen that says something close to "to boot from CD press any key" to continue, do exactly that. I hit the space bar and now your are installing Ultimate from the DVD. Remember this process will erase your hard drive, so back up anything you want to keep such as pictures documents ans so on, on to a dvd disc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BF - I deleted your other post regarding the double threads started by the OP, they're now merged to this thread only.
Thanks for understanding!
~Nibs

Last edited by a moderator:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First question is: Why do you want Ultimate Edition?

Secondly: Where did you get an "OEM DVD ROM Upgrade Edition" disc? I didn't know those were available at all. I don't believe I've ever seen one at the various etailers on the web.

Just buy an "Anytime Upgrade Key" and do it that way. Believe it or not, but all main three editions are the same size of DVD disc. Just certain features are locked until the correct key is used. No installation involved, just unlocking the features of the upgrade version and takes a little while, then a reboot.

Reaction score
First question is: Why do you want Ultimate Edition?

Secondly: Where did you get an "OEM DVD ROM Upgrade Edition" disc? I didn't know those were available at all. I don't believe I've ever seen one at the various etailers on the web.

Just buy an "Anytime Upgrade Key" and do it that way. Believe it or not, but all main three editions are the same size of DVD disc. Just certain features are locked until the correct key is used. No installation involved, just unlocking the features of the upgrade version and takes a little while, then a reboot.
Answers:
1) Learning Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and MS ASP .NET MVC 3.0
2) Bought it from University of New South Wales (UNSW) Campus Bookshop, Sydney Australia. OEM means it comes with just legal license & Product Key and one DVD-ROM only without any other materials, such as Manuals & etc...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
An upgrade edition is for going from XP or Vista to W7. It is NOT for upgrading from one W7 version to another. Upgrading from one version of W7 to another requires an anytime upgrade key, which you do not have.

If you want to use that particular Ultimate edition you will need to back up your data and do a fresh install ... and because it's an upgrade copy you may even have to install twice, then reinstall all your programs and restore your data. Unless you are going from W7 H.P. 64-bit to W7 Ult 32-bit you can use Windows Easy Transfer for your data backup & then restore but you still have to reinstall all your programs..

Reaction score
:) Thank You to the following Gentlemen:

1) bassfisher6522 :congrats:,
2) Nibiru2012, :) and
3) TrainableMan :congrats:

Who sincerely assisted and offered me great or viable solutions and suggestions!

This morning, I found out my MS Windows 7 Ultimate showed up unexpectedly without any further attempts. I guess it was the option, Windows Upgrade Anytime, that upgraded it successfully though it prompted me for the "Windows Upgrade Anytime KEY" when it kicked me out!!! Immediately, I shut it off without further attempts for several days...

Because when I typed in legal Windows 7 Ultimate Product Key and sent it, it interacted with the Microsoft Server with this Windows 7 Product Key though I did not have Windows Upgrade Anytime KEY. Microsoft staffs or the Product Server might permitted me and activated the Upgrades.

When I turned on the notebook this morning, I saw downloading and installing instantly without my further actions...

Ask a Question