Upgrade from 32 to 64 bit

Reaction score
I have a new computer with Win7 32-bit home edition.

I have a Win7 64-bit Pro edition upgrade CD.

I NEED Win7 Pro in order to join this computer to a domain.

When I try to install from the CD, I get an error message that it is not compatible with the current operating system. I'm assuming because of the 32-bit vs 64-bit.

It seems I can't do a clean new install of Win7 64-bit Pro because I only have the UPGRADE CD.

I tried to do a clean new install of WinXP pro edition to see if I could downgrade and then upgrade to Win7 64-bit, but got a scary terminal error message when I booted from the XP CD.

Any advice? Can they complicate things any more than this?

Reaction score
Yes, you will need to do a clean install to go from 32 to 64 bit. You however, do not need Windows 7 to join a domain. Any operating system at all can do that.

If you mean Homegroup as opposed to domain, then yes, you will need Win7 for that.

Reaction score
From what I understand - and I've been all over researching this - Windows 7 Home edition does not join to a domain - that's one of the major differences between Home and Pro. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

How would I check on whether there is a hardware limitation preventing me from installing a 64-bit OS?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What make and model of computer do you have?

If it's only capable of running a 32 bit Windows 7 you can install it. The upgrade pack you bought had two discs in right? One for 32 bit and the other for 64 bit?

The key will work for both discs, as long as it's installed on one computer only.

Ask a Question