Upgrade from 32-Bit to 64-Bit?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently received two more gigs of ram and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade from my old 32-bit OS to 64. Thanks

Reaction score
I was under the impression there was not an upgrade path from 32 to 64 because of the conflicts that would be generated between the two codes.

Reaction score
All the hardware drivers will need to be changed to 64 Bit as well as all the software. So there is not really any need in the upgrade path if everything needs to be reinstalled anyway.

Reaction score
You cannot upgrade from x86 to x64; this process requires a full reformat.

Reaction score
Like everyone here has said, it's not possible, but it's worthwhile with a system like yours. Go for it! :D

If you aren't in a rush then just wait till you get the full version of Windows 7 and then go x64.

Reaction score
Like everyone here has said, it's not possible, but it's worthwhile with a system like yours. Go for it! :D

If you aren't in a rush then just wait till you get the full version of Windows 7 and then go x64.
when we get x64?

Reaction score
Win 7 will ship with 2 DVDs, 1 32 bit other 64 bit.
Use the 64 bit DVD to clean install and the 32 bit DVD for a coaster.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: Alright guys, thanks for all this help. So how can I do a full reformat and install without losing my files? Is there a way to take all my programs, files, everything and put them in some sort of special file so that I can activate it in the new installation?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Alright, I'm saving the files to another partition. It's gonna take about 2 hours.

Last edited:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Ok. I've got a few problemos.

1. I can't burn a DVD! CD Burner XP is telling me that my DVDs are of poor quality, or something of the sort. I'm gonna try using Nero and see if anything improves. :/

2. Since the VDS in 7 isn't being nice, I went to XP and every time I try to format a partition, it tells me "This partition is in use and can't be formatted.".

Hmph.

Reaction score
Q1>Out of curiousity which media are you using and how old is your DVD burner?

Q2>Sounds like you are trying to format the Boot partition. Even though you load an O.S. on several partitions. There is one primary boot partition which holds the boot files and boot menu for all O.S. This Partition cannot be changed or formated until you boot to a different harddrive or CD/DVD.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
@Thrax: Poop! Hmph, this is getting annoying.

@Clif:

1. I'm using DVD-R with a brand new LG SATA DVD-RW Drive.

2. Yeah, but the thing is, it did that with all of my partitions.

-------------------

SADNESS

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
IIRC, you cannot use a WET file to go from 32 to 64, or vice versa.
Thanks Thrax, I'll see if I can find a reference from MS about this and add a note to the article about this :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
1. I can't burn a DVD! CD Burner XP is telling me that my DVDs are of poor quality, or something of the sort. I'm gonna try using Nero and see if anything improves. :/
A few others have had this same problem with CDBurnerXP in Windows 7, when it worked find with the same setup in previous versions of Windows (here's an example).

Hopefully Nero will work fine, but there are a few other free alternatives that should work ok (such as http://infrarecorder.org/).

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Alright, Nero was confusing me so I'll try InfraRecorder.

About the partition thing, I was able to somehow connect to VDS in 7 (fail?) and delete two partitions and squeeze out about 337 gigs. So all that's left is to burn the disk. :)

Random, off topic PS: I'm downloading IR and it looks like SourceForge got a makeover! Cool!

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
UPDATE

InfraRecorder doesn't like me!
The blank DVD is in and all other recording software on my computer recognizes it. :/

Attachments

Reaction score
Nero has driver updates to fix those problems.

Does InfraRecorder have driver updates? I dont know - Just a thought.

Ask a Question