Unhiding Windows Live Updates

Reaction score
Hello all. On the Windows Live home page (after you sign in) it will show you all sorts of updates from your contacts and so forth, under "Messenger Social". I will also show, in that area, emails you sent yourself (their titles at least) and, if you attached pictures, a small gallery of those pictures under "Messenger Social".

I was wondering if only you could see that? Could your contacts see that as well (your email title and the attached pictures)?

My second question is, how to you unhide your own updates from yourself? In "More Options", I see the option to unhide Hotmail updates, and updates from my contacts, but not the option to unhide updates that I chose to hide earlier. Why is that?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MJOLNIR, welcome to the forum! When you check for updates, on that very page on the left, is the option to "Restore Hidden Updates". I had to "hide" a hardware update that kept trying to install itself, that was older than the one I received from HP Update (not to be confused with Windows Update).

Try that out, and see what happens. It should show a list of updates that you "hid", and you can choose which ones that you want.

Also, you can install and run the File Hippo Update Checker, and it'll show you some of the Windows Live updates that you don't have, too. It can be found at:

http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Crap...lost the post. Damn this thing for logging me out...

Basically what I said here is that I can't find what you're talking about...I see my emails under "From contacts" but nothing under messenger social, like galleries of pics that I send to myself via email attachments. I remember clicking something months ago to disable those self-updates, but looking through my options, I don't see an option to "unhide" your OWN updates...just updates from contacts and from Hotmail. Weird, that I can't even see an option to re-show my own updates (under Messenger Social that is).

And I also said here that I'm still not sure if everything under "Messenger Social" (gonna abbreviate to MS) can be viewed by your contacts...I guess they can be, because it's called M. "Social"?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Show the hidden updates again by signing in to Windows Live, (as you have done) click your account name in the upper right corner of the page, and then click Options. Under Messenger Social , click "Updates from your friends" . You can then change things in there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Weird...all of the updates there are checked. Even the updates in "Your Updates" are, which would make more sense to go in, since it's my updates that I'm trying to see. I have no problem seeing the updates from my friends.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The File Hippo Update Checker that I described above, and provided a link for, notifies you of some Windows Live updates, especially the Mail & Messenger. But I have neither installed, as I don't use them. Having many email accounts, I prefer to access them through the browser.

However, that's the way that I do emails, and many users prefers the program installed. For me, the issue is configuring four other email accounts, it won't even pickup Opera Mail's settings.

If the whole thing could be simply automated, where all you need to enter is your email addresses & passwords, and Windows Live does everything magically behind the scenes, that would be fantastic. When this happens, then I'll reconsider using Live's services (or any other provider who can accomplish the same thing).

Cat

Ask a Question