Unable to transfer at Gigabit speeds

Reaction score
I can’t get anything faster than 5Mbs transfers over my network. This is what I have connected. I’m using a Dlink DIR-655 Router, set to connect at 1Gbps, Western Digital NAS drive, it says it’s connected at 1Gbps, and my laptop is set to connect at 1Gbps also. My laptop has a Realtek NIC, with the lastest drivers that I can find. Every thing is set to 1Gbps and, they all connect at that speed, but transferring between my NAS and my laptop, I ONLY get right at 5Mbs. Everything is connected with Cat5e cables, no long runs or anything. I’ve looked at several forums to figure out what I can do to get higher transfer speeds, but nothing seems to help. Anybody got any ideas, because I’m running out of them.

Reaction score
It's your NAS, which limits your network speed.
Its Gbit and CPU plays a crucial role in how fast it can transfer between each other.

Another thing is that you can "force" the network to use jumbo frames (Router, PC and the NAS)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The NAS is a hard drive! And the storage device in your notebook is most likely a hard drive. Hard drives are slows compared everything else. It takes a long time for the read/write head to position itself over the correct storage location the read or write read or write the data.

Replace all your hard drives with the latest SATA 3.0 SSDs and you will see much faster transfer times.

Also, Ethernet cables are low-tech fragile devices that cannot survive being tripped over or yanked on. So swap cables to make sure that is not the problem.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Digerati is correct in the fact that using an SATA 3 SSD will increase the transfer rates, but still won't reach anywhere near the 1 GB speed.

The best you will get with a SATA 3 is "theoretically" 600 MBPS (megabytes per second) or 6 Gbps (6 gigabits per second) basically the same.

Ask a Question