Unable to run setup (extract ISO)

Reaction score
Hi,

Downloaded x64 Win 7 to 32 bit WinXP from Digital River.

Trying to run Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe and get the

"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded. Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read-only."

Files are NOT write protected.
Running as admin I get

"the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices assocaited with it"

I've googled this and started a load of services (Help and Support, Windows Update, Security Centre + a few others) and tried again but get the same error.

Any help gratefully received.

Clummzie

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Is it legal to download Windows from this source?

Reaction score
I would think so Catilley as they have a Windows 7 store among others...

Hi Clummzie, it would appear to me that your download is corrupt. I would try and re-download the .exe file.

Please keep in mind that you have a 32 bit OS atm so you will not be able to install the new 64 bit OS while in XP. You will have to do a clean install of the new OS.

If the download still does not work I would contact Digital River and ask for assistance. I assume you have a legitimate Windows 7 key? If so you could find a different download of the same version of Windows 7 from a torrent site and just use your legit key on it...

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If you have a legitimate Windows 7 key, you can borrow the same version from someone and setup that way. After all, it's the key you're really paying for. The media probably costs less than $10. I've never downloaded Windows OS's this way, but I've done Linux distros like that. I've never had a problem with a torrent ISO download, on one of my XP laptops, I have the uTorrent program and it's fast and secure. If you still have problems, you may be able to find a copy on eBay or Amazon without the key fairly cheap. I'm still a little skeptical over downloading Windows OS's, unless it came from Microsoft or one of their affiliates.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe it was set up for students, originally. Unfortunately, there was free access to the downloads, but not to the licencing and activation information, except via Email to legitimate downloaders. It caused a lot of headaches with requests for help, as I am sure you are all aware. I think this earlier reading sums it up, but there is a mass of (adverse) comment on the web.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/26/microsoft_windows_7_digital_river_headache/

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It looks like you're trying to download the Windows 7 Professional X64 Edition.

Try this link and see if it works for you:
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso

It's the full ISO image of Windows 7 Pro x64. After it downloads then burn it to a DVD using ImgBurn at 4x speed to avoid any burn errors.

I personally have used the above link and it works! It will download the ISO image to the place you choose on your hard drive. Don't mess with that fouled up download that nearly everyone has had problems with. Use the link I posted as I know of many people have used it in lieu of the old link.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Nibiru2012, you mean that you can download that ISO file, purchase a key, and if you have the right hardware, you're good to go with Windows 7 Pro. You can get keys on eBay or Amazon for $20 to $30. If that's so, I have a laptop that will run it, although not at 100%.

Reaction score
You can get keys on eBay or Amazon for $20 to $30.
I don't believe I would buy a software key from eBay.
There is no way to know for sure how many people are already using the key.

It would be best to purchase keys from a legitimate source.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You may be right on that, there is no way to know for sure. But I did purchase a XP Pro key for a friend from there and it validated fine. They do have a policy in place regarding counterfeiting that was approved by Microsoft and other copyrighted software companies. If you purchase an item that is deemed to be counterfeit, they will refund you. I got a XP Pro SP3 OS from them in July and was refunded the full purchase price by eBay. If you receive any item that is not as described, you're entitled to a refund by eBay. Twice, I've been refunded by eBay with no hassle. And using their PayPal system to pay, you're covered for 45 days. I've had 42 transactions with them, only 2 were bad, and they were made good. Clifford, I know you don't like eBay, but I've gotten a lot of good merchandise from them. Where are these other reputable sites at? Microsoft would charge a fortune for a key.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Doggone, that's a 3GB file! I've never downloaded anything that large before. Almost four hours left.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Nibiru2012, you mean that you can download that ISO file, purchase a key, and if you have the right hardware, you're good to go with Windows 7 Pro. You can get keys on eBay or Amazon for $20 to $30. If that's so, I have a laptop that will run it, although not at 100%.
clummzie, the OP couldn't get his download to work from Digital River. Those links were the one for use by college students in computer classes, they pay a fee and then the download link is sent to them. They get the key by email, if I'm not mistaken.

Since he was having a tough time getting the download to work, as a lot of students found out in late Oct. and Nov., I gave him a direct link to the ISO image rather than him using that confounded loader DR originally used. As a matter of fact, a lot of them got refunds plus the Product Keys free because the system was so messed up.

Yeah... don't get keys at eBay! Like that guy that was selling MS TechNet subscriptions for $80 each. Now that was deal! ????

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Doggone, that's a 3GB file! I've never downloaded anything that large before. Almost four hours left.
I have a 2 Mb download connection and it took me about 3 hours total. I did mine late on a Sunday night when there's not much traffic.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's the time to do large downloads, they are faster and the file is not so fragmented, either. It did complete in a little over three hours, but guess what? I have a DVD player on that laptop, not a burner. So I have the file, but no way to burn it. That's alright, the OS may not even work on that laptop anyway. I'll probably buy a new one with Pro next year.

Ask a Question