SOLVED Unable to resolve my BSODs

Reaction score
Dear Sirs,

Recent changes to the computer were: added a new Samsung SSD and 2 additional sticks of RAM for a total of 4 sticks (2 GB x 4 sticks = 8 GB). I ran Memtest+86 and the RAM sticks turned out good. However, I decided to remove 2 sticks and see how the computer reacts. So, currenlty I have 4 GB of RAM.

After several days trying to remove the BSODs, I decided to reinstall the Operating System a second time to confirm that there are no viruses. Since then, I installed MS Office, Realplayer, VLC, Driver Identifier and nothing much.

I tried to do my best in updating all the drivers. Only antivirus software is AVAST.

Any help is very much appreciated and thank you in advance,

Computer:
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS M3N78 PRO
4GB RAM (I have 4GB more but decided on removing it)
NVIDIA GeForce 8300 Revision A2 Graphicx

Domino

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the Memory tab of CPU-Z, please.

Several of the DMPs mention AVAST drivers as a possible problem. Could you completely uninstall AVAST with the AVAST Uninstall Tool and see if your problems persist? If that doesn't turn out to be the cause then you can always reinstall.

As for your drivers. Unfortunately the "latest" from ASUS are 4 years old so unless better ones come via Windows Update you are pretty much stuck.

You mention SSD. That is one thing that should have current drivers; maybe even check for a firmware update from the SSD vendor.

Reaction score
It is incredible how fast you responded. Good suggestions. Attached is the memory tab.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
RAM settings seem to be OK for 333mHz bus and a RAM voltage of 1.8V. You said you ran Memtest86 so it's probably fine.

I'm no BSOD expert but I suspect the issue is either with AVAST A/V or your SSD or its' drivers.

Reaction score
Greetings~
Domino- you said you have VLC AND Real Player I would suggest .. unless you need it .. to uninstall Real Player completely.

There aren't really any sites or file types that use or need it any more. I don't have anything related to Real Player installed on my system and all of my video and audio files play fine. I use VLC .

VLC can play JUST ABOUT any audio or video file.

As far as AVAST causing BSOD's .. would be surpising .. BUT not un-heard of depends on you system specs.

Which from what you have said are MORE than capable of running AVAST.

I would check drivers FIRST, then work your way from there.

Like TrainableMan, I'm not a BSOD expert. Nor am I a good one to ask about the CPU-Z results..

Just my thoughts :)
Best of luck.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Thank you

Trainableman and lonewolfmage,

Up to now the computer is behaving ok. I think the problem relied in downloading the correct drivers. I went to ASUS and NVIDIA to look for the correct drivers but they are not easy to identify. Even though Device Manager indicated that all drivers were up to date, I used Driver Identifier (a free program to identify drivers, but it charges money if you choose to download the drivers) just to see what needed to be updated. I noticed that there were updates available, but I didn't choose to go with the recommended downloads from Driver Identifier. Instead I went back to ASUS and NVIDIA and search for the drivers according to the dates and the version number shown in the Driver Identifier program. The drivers were downloaded and I installed them. Then, I went back to Device Manager and confirm that I had the latest updates (Update Driver -- Search Automatically) for each suspected driver. To my surprise the Display Adapter (NVIDIA GeForce 8300) updated automatically even after I downloaded and ran the latest NVIDIA drivers.

I think the culprit was NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller (latest update 5.1.2600.208) and the NVIDIA GeForce 8300 drivers.

Thank you for your support.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Driver detection programs aren't perfect, in my experience they might get about 50%-70% right, but when they are wrong it can leave you scrambling to even boot into safe mode to restore your system. So it's a very good choice to do it the way you did.

Ask a Question