Unable to format the XP Partition in windows 7

Reaction score
I had previously installed windows XP SP3 in my PC. Then i installed windows 7 in a dual boot partition. When i accessed windows 7 i was unable to format the xp partition that was previusly installed in my pc. I want to remove windows XP from my pc... Please help!!!

Reaction score
Hi reetam_mitra - Welcome to w7forums

Your boot files are why you cannot format the partition.

Use Disk Management and mark Windows 7 partition active.
Reboot and use your Windows 7 DVD to do a Startup Repair.
Then you should be able to format Windows XP partition without troubles.

Reaction score
i am unable to mark the windows 7 partition as active..... option is not available.. the drive which consists XP is a primary partition.. so how do i format it?

Reaction score
I'm afraid you will not be able to format the Windows XP partition until you can move your boot files to another partition. A primary partition is the only partition that can be marked as active. Marking a partition as active is how the system knows which partition to boot too.

Reaction score
If re-installing Windows 7 is out of the question. A full system backup of Windows 7 could be done and then restored to the primary partition which Windows XP is located.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
At one time, I thought the free version of Acronis was the best free backup system, but I have to say Macrium is better now. I used it since Nibiru introduced it to me months ago, and it's a really good free backup.

As far as the paid ones goes, Acronis True Image is the best, it's far better than the free one that comes with WD & Seagate drives.

Cat

Ask a Question