Unable to boot up Windows 7 64 Bit System

gch

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I have recently converted my machine to 64 bit from 32 bit W7

Many thanks to the help from this forum.

I now have a major problem because I can't boot up the system at all.

when I switch on the screen remains black BUT the disc whirrs and the mouse and keyboard lights come on.

I have tried starting up with my W7 64 installation disk in but nothing comes on.

I have unplugged the monitor lead and the only messages I have are "not connected" and "monitor going to sleep".

Have now read up and I will have to do some tweaking as there is obviously a nit of an issue about 64 bit sleep related things - that's for tomorrow.

I can't get in at all and need to know if there is a key combination that will "force" my sytem to wake up or go into safe mode

Ctrl, Alt and Delete doesn't work

Ctrl, Alt and Backspace neither.

I don't know any more.

Desperate or what

Help please, most grateful for a clue

Graham

Letchworth Garden City

Reaction score
I have unplugged the monitor lead and the only messages I have are "not connected" and "monitor going to sleep".
Just to clarify:
  • Do you only get this message while the monitor is unplugged?
  • Do you have another graphics port you can connect the monitor too?

Reactions: gch

gch

Reaction score
I do have 2 monitors using standard outputs. I have tried swapping over leads and just using one but get the same response.

I have tried booting with monitors both in and out and still end up with the monitors going to sleep.

Graham

Reaction score
I assume you are using a graphics card with two VGA ports.

Does the motherboard have onboard graphics?
  • If so, disconnect the graphics card and see if your onboard graphics will work.
  • If not, replacing the graphics card maybe your only option.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you boot do you even see the F10 for BIOS message because that is not from Win 7 so if you can't see that then your video is not working and it has nothing to do with Win 7.

One thought, if you already were inside the case tweaking or if your case was bumped you might just want to make sure the card is properly seated and if it has extra power, make sure that's plugged in.

I also like Clifford's idea about going to the MOBO's onboard graphics.

ALWAYS UNPLUG THE CORD before going inside your computer and ground yourself from static charge.

Reactions: gch

Ask a Question