Unable to start Desktop - Restarting to Boot Screen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a monitor miscue, where it was showing "not optimum mode" every time I would turn the computer on. I set it to the correct dimensions at 1600x900 and couldn't see anything when I applied it - just a black screen however it was working both the screen and desktop. I went back to a restored state at the computer bootup screen, hitting f8 in order to fix the problem. Now my screen is working but it does not allow me to access into my password login screen. I do not know if all the resetting affected the hard drive however I would like all my information on there.

It is a Windows 7 desktop - Dell - 5 year old desktop with a picture included of the issues that a diagnostic found.
I would really appreciate advice, if loading a windows 7 ios from my seagate external would help in any way or from a USB so I can retain all my information. I feel like I tried a recovery console but no dice...

Thanks immensely for any ideas and hope to hear from you soon. I have a lot of information on there that I can't access now and now I can't even get into safe mode.

Edit: As of three days ago, the entire desktop was running very smoothly, with no issues. I had run AVG and Advanced System care 7 frequently so I doubt this is a virus issue. Before I had no access to my software, where I currently can't even boot up safe mode, it was taking 20+ mins to load my entire desktop. Now I can't even get to the password page. Thanks for your time once again.

Grant.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have a W7 Installation DVD? If not, use another computer to download the same version and burn it to DVD using the links HERE. Boot this computer to the W7 SP1 DVD and from the installation menu, run "startup repair". I don't know if this will help but it can't hurt to try.

The picture you posted indicated a SMART error which is a hard drive self diagnostic warning that your drive may be going bad. Even if the startup repair works you should back up your data to an external drive frequently and monitor this drive for more errors. If the errors continue it is a good possibility this hard drive will need replaced.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I would strongly that you at least run Windows chkdsk (Check Disk)

Open a command prompt as Administrator
  1. click on Start
  2. type in cmd
  3. cmd appears in the list.
  4. Right click on cmd and select "Run As Administrator"
Type in:
Code:
chkdsk /f /r
Reboot the computer.

When Windows restarts after chkdsk:
Start -> Run
Type in:
Code:
eventvwr
Goto "Windows Logs" -> Application
Click on the first log entry.
Right click on "Windows Logs" -> Apllication
Click on Find and type in:
Code:
chkdsk
When it finds the event right click on the event and select Copy -> "Copy details as Text"
Then post it to the forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Advanced System care 7 was a bad option, can cause untold problems not unlike the ones you are having.Bearing in mind it is an optimiser and does/can play around with the registry.
I agree that a system repair would be the best bet but certainly check the hard disk for errors.
:rolleyes:

Reaction score
De obicei,Advanced System Care,de orice fel ar fi,nu sunt bune.

Moderator added Romanian Translation said:
Most products such as Advanced System Care are not good

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question