Unable to boot Safemode

Reaction score
Hello I am new and I have a problem with unable to boot Safe mode.
I have tried the F8 with successfully getting the options of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Network prompt, etc... but when I press the option to start safe mode a bios scroll runs down the screen for a little while then the whole thing resets and goes to regular windows.

To save you time I have already tired the "Safe boot" msconfig option that loads the same way as before but will keep reseting itself over and over again. I am running an Acer Aspire Laptop with windows 7 upgrade Home Premium X64. The laptop originally had windows vista and I upgraded to windows 7 last year. Please help thank you

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your computer will not boot at all then I would suspect hardware problems.

Reaction score
If your computer will not boot at all then I would suspect hardware problems.
I'm not sure what you mean. I can boot fine to normal windows and activities it's just that I can not get into safe mode. I can get to the selection screen after pressing F8 and when I select any option of safe mode the screen runs a bios scroll then it hangs at

CLASSPNP.SYS.

After that it resets and goes to regular windows.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
When I googled, it seems many have had the problem. Many have offred solutions - none of which seemed to work.
But this one got a good response. IF your bios has the option, try this. Go into the Bios and:
1. Disable CPI APIC support
2. Under PCI/PnP settings, set Plug and Play O/S = YES.

And (From me.):-
Open "System" from the Control Panel (icon view).
Open Advanced Systen Settings (over on the left)
Advanced Tab and then "performance"
Data Execution Prevention.
Finally, if not already , Tick the first option - "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"
Apply

Reaction score
When I googled, it seems many have had the problem. Many have offred solutions - none of which seemed to work.
But this one got a good response. IF your bios has the option, try this. Go into the Bios and:
1. Disable CPI APIC support
2. Under PCI/PnP settings, set Plug and Play O/S = YES.

And (From me.):-
Open "System" from the Control Panel (icon view).
Open Advanced Systen Settings (over on the left)
Advanced Tab and then "performance"
Data Execution Prevention.
Finally, if not already , Tick the first option - "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"
Apply
Okay I don't have the option of the bios change. I tried the advice you gave from the system selections and the control panel and DEP was already ticked. That did not work. Any more solutions?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Only one, I'm afraid.
Open Msconfig from the start box.
"Boot" tab
Tick "Safe Boot" , then "apply" and restart your computer..

Reaction score
I used msconfig to boot in safe mode...Now it will not save to run in Normal (or any other) mode. System Restore, goes thru the motions, but it too will not recover.
I originally had the "File Recovery" Trojan, got rid of it. Had to unhide my files. Then was trying to find answers to remove the "Redirect" virus when searching...and all of a sudden the "File Recovery " Trojan re-appeared. Used msconfig to reboot in safe mode....now it will not allow booting in any other mode except safe...says it can't find the original boot.ini file.?????

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would download TDSSKiller & several versions of RKill using links in our Freeware DB. Run TDSSKiller first, then 2 or 3 versions of RKILL, then run a complete scan. You might even try a second passive anti-virus besides the one you have now, such as Malwarebytes (also in freeware DB). Just do not active the trial version of Malwarebytes if you already use a different A/V; the free version of Malwarebytes is passive and only runs when you manually trigger it but the free trial includes active scanning which may conflict with your current A/V.

Make sure you are virus free because it does not sound like you are. Viruses are very good at setting themselves up to restart on next boot and for hiding themselves from A/V programs. TDSSKiller removes rootkits and RKILL tries to kill processes hiding the virus, then an A/V can really find them and delete.

If you get through all that then I would boot up to a W7 DVD (or Repair disks/partition) and do a start-up repair to fix windows files.

Ask a Question