UK Windows 7 Offers

Reaction score
Following your e-mail advising of 'opening-offers' for Windows 7, I have just tried to order Windows 7 Home Premium from Amazon.com but was unable to complete the process because of my UK delivery status, were you aware of this problem?. Does this mean we will have to wait for UK offers and then discover we have to pay twice as much once again as our US cousins. Shame on Microsoft if this is the case and if it is, then on principal I will stay with XP or Vista.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks for the information but I cannot find the 'details' of likely UK offers such as the one you mentioned. Anyway it sounds more encouraging and not too long to wait for definitive offers.

Reaction score
Hello Ian,

The US can get hold of 7 ( albeit the upgrade version ) for a far lower price than the UK can get hold of 7.

The pre order deal in UK for full version is £49 ($81) and for Professional £99 ($163).

I am not sure that is better - the $49 USD and $99 USD price is unavailable in U.K.

As far as I know, the difference between the upgrade and full is simply that when doing a clean install with the upgrade version - you need to show it a qualifying version of Windows ( or do the double install ).

Simply popping e.g. any Vista dvd in the drive during the installation of 7 will do it.

It adds a few seconds to the rare occasion you need to clean install.

I am sure there are many who wouldn't mind that at all - and would like the same price as the U.S.

Reaction score
Totally agree with this comment. I would much prefer an upgrade at $49.99 (£30.00) than a full version at £50.00..This is more 'clever' stuff from Microsoft why they do this I do not know because all they achieve is resentment for the 'brand'.
Another good question is why can't this upgrade be ordered from Amazon .com
the reason is that Microsoft are totally controlling the so called 'free-market'

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I take it back, I suppose you are right :) - the full version makes no difference if you've got an old version of Vista (which 95% of us will do). I guess we've got the EU to thank for no upgrade editions!

Reaction score
Europe requiring that IE be taken out is why there is no upgrade available. If there was a previous version without IE then you would have your upgrade option in Europe. Microsoft is trying to be kind by giving the full version at a discount because there is no version to upgrade from.

Reaction score
£49 is not a bad price - it is just just galling the US always get a much better deals.

Plenty of Aussies are pretty annoyed about what they are being expected to pay.

Clifford - I am afraid you are mistaken :

Let me make it clear, the commission has never ever suggested to Microsoft that they should supply Windows 7 without a browser".
Jonathan Todd, European Commission
It was a completely unilateral move by MS.

MS are not being kind - they will maximize their income with the differential pricing policy - it is a marketing tool. Note the high pricing in Oz and elsewhere - nothing to do with IE.

The low pricing in U.S. is also a marketing decision

The purpose is partly to generate income ahead of the release - and persuade those who were happy with XP or Vista to switch.

If you are happy with what you have - unlikely you will pay $200 for another o/s just because it is new. If it's $49 - what the heck , may as well get it.

The major goal is to generate good PR - best seller at Amazon - brings it to the attention of the big business market and reinforces to the Press the succes of the product.

It keeps the momentum going - and costs MS nothing - in fact they generate income from people buying who wouldn't have at the regular price.

Reaction score
I preordered windows 7 premium upgrade from the usa with the help of a friend in the us, he will simply post the dvd to me when he receives it.

$49 equals €42

49uk pds €57

quite a difference

Reaction score
If everyone did that - MS would realise the UK sales were poor and they had overpriced.

That is the only way they will change their pricing startegy.

Not all that many will order from abroad, though.

Reaction score
Hope not too dumb a question. Are we saying that UK customers get a full version of Windows7. I have a 98 full with an XP upgrade and thought I would miss the offer. £50 seems a good deal. Unfortunately I'll be out of the country when the offer comes out. Hope I don't come back to an all sold out banner!!

wavey

Reaction score
Would you believe it. It's 9am 15 july uk. with some trouble got to the UK Microsoft site and seen my lovely W7 at 49.99. site crashed and when I came back after reload the software is being offered at full price. Whats going on.???

wavey

Reaction score
Have just ordered from Amazon for £48.13. including delivery, this must be a great deal.

Reaction score
Got it from Currys 49.99. hopefully delivered in oct. PC world just had an inquiry form to fill out.
wavey

Reaction score
meant to say 'thanks' to this Forum for all the advanced information and support.

Ask a Question