UK Windows 7 Offers

Reaction score
Hi all, now be gentle as this is my first post!!! :)

Will EU countries still be able to purchase an "E" version of Windows 7 as I need the IE functionality??

Cheers, Dave

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all, now be gentle as this is my first post!!! :)

Will EU countries still be able to purchase an "E" version of Windows 7 as I need the IE functionality??

Cheers, Dave
Hi Dave, welcome to the site! :)

The "E" version is released without Internet Explorer and is only available in Europe. Don't worry though, as you will still be able to install IE8 manually - just pop it on a USB drive from another PC. We still don't know all the details, so it could be that there is an even easier way to install IE8 from within Windows 7.

Reaction score
Just a small point re the price I paid to Amazon, this was inclusive of delivery (first class).I have just amended my order on-line and opted for Super Saver delivery (3 days) and brought the price down to £44.97., even better bargain!!. This option can be chosen when completing the order but I missed it.

Reaction score
I believe the Amazon deal is for the full boxed product.

If you recall, the US had to pay an extra $20 for the dvd and delivery - so, it' s a pretty good deal.

Reaction score
Hi Dave, welcome to the site! :)

The "E" version is released without Internet Explorer and is only available in Europe. Don't worry though, as you will still be able to install IE8 manually - just pop it on a USB drive from another PC. We still don't know all the details, so it could be that there is an even easier way to install IE8 from within Windows 7.
Thanks for the info and site welcome Ian....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have just heard that the UK version of Windows 7 will now be shipped including Windows Explorer, what does this mean to those of us who have pre ordered the full version, will there now be an option to switch to an 'upgrade' version?. Have you any news on this

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have just heard that the UK version of Windows 7 will now be shipped including Windows Explorer, what does this mean to those of us who have pre ordered the full version, will there now be an option to switch to an 'upgrade' version?. Have you any news on this
As far as I understand, we'll be getting the full version of Windows 7 :)

update edit: I've just done a google to see if I can find some evidence for this, as I'm sure I read it somewhere reliable. However, all I can find are articles saying how it's uncertain what will happen:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/264715/...nto-doubt-as-microsoft-scraps-e-editions.html

As soon as I find out any more I will post back.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I realise that having ordered the full version (at the time the only option available), this will be delivered to us but our US cousins had the option to buy an 'upgrade ' version at a considerably reduced price, this was not available to us in the UK because of the IE/Europe problem. This now seems to be resolved so the upgrade option is surely back on the table. Here is where i got my information re the 'change of heart'.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/news...-ship-with-windows-7.html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters

I am not looking for a cheaper buy but might consider an upgrade to Pro or Ultimate if it was on offer.

Reaction score
MS have no choice contractually.

If you did the pre order deal, you were buying the Full version in the EU ( albeit without IE ).

They must still provide the provide the Full version.

Why would you want to change to the Upgrade version ?

Unfortunately, the price you paid was the upgrade price.

Now upgrade versions will be available - yes you guessed it - they will be that same upgrade price - the Full versions will be even more.

MS never intended EU pricing to be as low as the US.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The upgrade option of windows 7 Home Premium was offered at $49.99 (£30.30.) to US customers, Microsoft stated that they could not offer this option to European customers because of the dispute re IE. This constriction no longer applies it would seem, so why can't this upgrade option be offered retrospectively to those UK citizens who have pre ordered?. I think I am wise enough to know that Microsoft will conveniently 'forget' to mention such an option now, I am being a little provocative here but the underlying point is still a good one I think.
On a more serious note for a variety of reasons i would have preferred an upgrade version (Pro or Ultimate) and had any of these been on offer at around £70.00 say then I would have been tempted.

Ask a Question