UK user: 2wk old Vaio laptop, W7 os, Netgear router... no internet for 2days. Ideas?

Reaction score
Hi to everyone in the forum,

Just a quick one for you all. Can you help, please? I have Sony Vaio laptop, W7 os. Bought laptop from Comet electrical store (UK chain like Target/BestBuy) 2 wks ago. Also have 4yr old Netgear router. My ISP is AOL (terrible service, but it functions-ish!! lol). Also have Sky satellite tv at home.

Since Wednesday I've suddenly had no internet connection. Subscription to AOL is fine. Netgear router showing 'Excellent' signal strength. Changed old DSL filter for brand new one. Still no connection.

Connection icon in status tray showing '!' mark against yellow background. Tried AOL support for the router, we still couldn't get connected.

Is it the Netgear router? Is it f---ked? Don't understand it: the signal TO the router is perfect. Like I say, previously had internet since I bought the laptop 2wks ago.

By the way, I'm posting this thread from my friend's house! lol I MISSSSSSSS my internet!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Any ideas anyone??? Thanks in advance to everyone for their help :D

Kev

Reaction score
Hi KevScott - Welcome to w7forums

Have you checked the router's settings to see if the router is still connected to the ISP. Could be you just need to reboot the router. Either way I would load the router settings page and see if it has been dis-connected from the ISP.

Try this address to open the router configuration page.
Open an Internet Explorer browser and type the router IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.

The Login window will prompt for the router configuration username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”
Read more here - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/120

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have had issues like this in the past. I unplugged both the modem and router for about a minute and then first plugged in the modem, then the router. Everything worked fine after that.

Reaction score
hi clifford and niburu,

many thanks for your replies. yeah, i tried BOTH of your suggestions; still nothing. i was also on http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-32404-no-internet-but-netgear-router-is-connected a couple of hours ago, and it would seem this is a FAR MORE common event than Netgear will admit to. So much so that they avoid taking their customers' calls over the problem.

It would seem they're just interested in churning out the hardware, then leaving the bemused end-user with a sorry mess. I'm very disappointed with Netgear. They know what they're doing, and it just feels uncaring.

At least I now know I owe Windows 7 an apology. I had blamed the problem on it. I am now very sorry for this (blush). Sorry, Steve, Bill and the worldwide MS team. I was wrong to doubt you guys.

Netgear, shame on you. Start acting like Microsoft and STOP p*ssing your customers off with sh*t merchandise. My friend has BT Home Broadband. He's got a cool BT HomeHub router that's NEVER failed once. So guess what; I'm going to throw the Netgear router in the trash can, rip up the AOL subscription and take my custom to BT. I am finished with second-rate equipment manufacturers and ISP providers delivering a below-standard service!

I hope the winds of innovation make them obsolete!!

Reaction score
Hi to everyone in the forum,

Just a quick one for you all. Can you help, please? I have Sony Vaio laptop, W7 os. Bought laptop from Comet electrical store (UK chain like Target/BestBuy) 2 wks ago. Also have 4yr old Netgear router. My ISP is AOL (terrible service, but it functions-ish!! lol). Also have Sky satellite tv at home.

Since Wednesday I've suddenly had no internet connection. Subscription to AOL is fine. Netgear router showing 'Excellent' signal strength. Changed old DSL filter for brand new one. Still no connection.

Connection icon in status tray showing '!' mark against yellow background. Tried AOL support for the router, we still couldn't get connected.

Is it the Netgear router? Is it f---ked? Don't understand it: the signal TO the router is perfect. Like I say, previously had internet since I bought the laptop 2wks ago.

By the way, I'm posting this thread from my friend's house! lol I MISSSSSSSS my internet!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Any ideas anyone??? Thanks in advance to everyone for their help :D

Kev

Hi Kev,

My name’s Matt and I’m from Comet.

It was disappointing to learn of the problems that you are experiencing with your Laptop and router.

Based upon the information that you have provided, it is difficult to confirm what the exact nature of the problem may be.

We offer a free helpline via Comet on Call for multimedia items, such as laptops, within 30 days of purchase. They will be able to investigate the issues you are having with a view to resolving them over the phone. Please click on this link for further information:-

http://oncall.comet.co.uk/helpline_form/helpline_form.htm

Regards

Matt

Ask a Question