SOLVED Two routers, 1 Windows?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Would a switch be a WAP, or would it have to be a router?
:( I thought it was cleared up when you said,
I see the point of confusion. The last post on the previous page by Digerati, which actually explained everything (and the fact that it's 4 in 1! ),
So I say again, a switch, a WAP and a router are all separate, distinct and independent devices. They may be located in the same box, but electrically, and from a networking standpoint, they are totally different devices.

A switch allows you to connect multiple computers to one Ethernet connection.
A router connects/isolates two networks.
A WAP provides wireless access to a network.

And, if a 4-in-1 device, it may also have integrated into the same box, a gateway device - typically a cable or DSL modem, which is the device that connects you to your ISP.

Reaction score
Yeah, I understood that, but could I just use the WAP part of the router/switch? My only concern with a switch is it may cut off UPnP

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A switch does not cut off anything. And yes, for "wireless routers" - that is devices that contain both a router and a WAP, you can disable one or the other function.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've never heard of that brand so I can't really comment.

But now I am confused. Note a switch is for Ethernet connected (wired) devices. According what was said earlier, you only have 3 wired devices and 11 wireless so I am not sure what you are seeking by adding a switch - unless you plan on converting some of your wireless devices to 1Gb Ethernet - which is a very sensible idea to me since wired is inherently much more secure than any wireless network.

If you are trying to relieve some of the wireless burden from your current 11g network, then as I noted earlier, adding 11n support would help with that. And for that, you would need to add a 11n WAP, or add a 11n "wireless router" and only use the WAP side.

Replacing your current router with a new 1Gb Wireless 11n Router may actually be your best solution. Then use it for all your wired and 11n devices, and use your old wireless router as a 11g WAP-only device for your 11g access. If you end up with more than 4 wired, you will need to add a 1Gb Switch. That's actually the way I have my network setup. I have only 1 cable running downstairs to a switch that connects the 5 computers downstairs to my router upstairs.

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. As the simple web surfing laptops have no porblem, I was considering plugging one printer and the games computer into a wired switch. That's one option.

This Buffalo supports N and G, so I could replace the current Belkin with this, and just use the old one as a WAP. So presumably a cheap wireless N adapter would make any computer N compatible?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I've been using a Belkin Wireless-N router for a year now, and I am extremely satisfied with it. It's the best router I've ever owned. I had a Linksys for about a month before I took it back and upgraded to this. I don't have very much use for wireless as most my network clients are wired, but it is my belief (entirely subjective) that a router is something you don't want to skimp on. Usually my routers in the past have cost below 50 bucks, so when I shelled out close to a hundred for this one, I hesitated a lot, but the performance and versatility has really been worth it. I think Digerati is dead on.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If going with that Buffalo, I would use it for Ethernet and 11n only and use the other as a 11g only WAP. As I noted above, unless it supports "simultaneous dual band", mixing 11g and 11n on the same WAP device will degrade your 11n performance. That Buffalo is not simultaneous.

I was considering plugging one printer and the games computer into a wired switch.
Assuming that printer has Ethernet capability, that will work fine and is a smart idea. By hanging the printer on the network, instead of off a "host" computer, you avoid having to open up sharing on that host machine. You can also put the printer in a central location and all users can print to it without the need for a host computer to be up and running.

Reaction score
Hmm, upon examination, the Deskjet D5560 I was going to ethernet seems to lack an ethernet port... looks like it will have to be wireless.

Bufffalo as the gateway (did I get it right??) and old Belkin as the secondary WAP seem to be the best option.

I love Belkin products and use the wireless adapters, but the Buffalo does 300mb/s for under £50, whereas the Belkin only does 150. I'm not willing to pay for anything over £50 for what was originally a small network upgrade...

P.S. none of the printers were ever hung off the computers, they were straight onto the network.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Bufffalo as the gateway (did I get it right??)
No! Please read what was said several times above. The "gateway" device is the device that connects you to the Internet through your ISP. In other words, the gateway is your ADSL modem - NOT the router, NOT the WAP, NOT the switch.

Reaction score
Yes, I know what has been said several times before! I was going to put the Buffalo as the primary router, and it will have the wire coming out of the phone socket, with the ADSL filter; so it would be connecting me to the ISP. Is there are reason this won't work? After, you yourself recommended it.

Reaction score
Sycthus, he is not suggesting it will not work. He is only pointing out that if you have both Wireless G and N connecting to the WAP, that the Wireless N signal will degrade unless the WAP specifically supports "simultaneous dual band". This simply means that while the WAP is connected to both signals only Wireless G will be used. The device does support both signals but not at the same time. He simply suggest that for better performance, the Wireless G devices should use your older WAP.

Thanks, Digerati - I was not aware of this limitation. :)

Ask a Question