Tutorial Section

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Ok, so this is a simple idea: what if the forum had a "tutorial" section? I see people post guides and tutorials in all the other sections.
Wouldn't it be better to have them all in one place? Yes, I know there is "Articles", but that is only tutorials by Ian, and a few member submited tutorials.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes... I suppose so.
Though, then shouldn't we post our tutorials there?
I've noticed, nearly all user submited tutorials are in "General Discution".

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
For me, it presents a rather peculiar problem. Probably only for me!
Sometime back, there was a slanging fight between two sites such as this. One was claiming the other was copying his tutorial material. I know where I put my money.
The point was that the principal had written a huge number of tutorials, with illustrations, which covered every conceivable situation in Windows 7 (and previously, Vista). For this he received, quite rightly, MVP status. I am sure most of you know the sites of which I speak.
It would be easy to copy his material, and reprint it here. My dillema is, to what purpose?. It would be simpler to point a link to the site in qustion, which, as far as the tutorials are concerned, is unequalled.
However, on the other side of the coin, members here are on the site for information (aren't they?), not for links to further sites. But it is rare, currently, to read any original material, regarding problem solving in Windows 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Very well stated davehc! I've read many "tutorials" on Windows 7, Vista, XP and so on all over the net. Many are the same things, only they're reworded. Anyone can do that, print off a few of these tutorials, just explain it differently. Actually, there are a lot of tutorials posted on this site. Go to the home page, there's "Windows 7 Articles", there are plenty of them. But there has been members here who posts tutorials, I see no problem with it. I'm just not good at it myself. Too, I'd rather be giving a helping hand when I can. I do like to read tutorials, but don't care to write them.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Cat wrote
Many are the same things, only they're reworded
Thats true as there are only so many ways you can post (say how to use System Restore) the wording in two tutorials may be very close to the same, but I think the important thing is this forum has a great set of tutorials (most wrote by Ian) and there a great reference point :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, there is the user submitted article section, where you can submit original tutorials to (https://www.w7forums.com/user-submitted-articles-f29.html). If you've spotted some tutorials on the general discussion section, just PM me or reply here with the links and I can move them over :).

As Dave mentions, any articles that can go in that section would have to be written by the person submitting them and not copied and pasted from somewhere else, as that could land the site in a huge amount of trouble.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
We don't want that to happen, Ian. I've read many of your articles, and they are for the most part, written in an easy to understand format. You've showed me a few "tricks of the trade" on here that's empowered me, and one that saved my butt (on an XP install). You can't have enough cats in the bag when it comes to XP.:D

Ask a Question