Tutorial: How to Change your Password in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Part of any good computer security strategy is changing computer password on a regular basis. A strong password is the first line of defense against those who wish to get access to our computers and the important data they contain.
In this article We will learn how you can easily change your password in Windows 7.
Difficulty: Easy

Things You'll Need:
  • Windows 7
Instructions

1. Step 1

Click on the "Start" , which is the "Windows Orb" at the lower left, and choose Control Panel.
  2. Step 2

Click on the "User Accounts and Family Safety" heading in the Control Panel.
    Under the "User Accounts" heading, click on the link for "Change your Windows password."
  3. Step 3

This will take you to your User Account window. If you already have a password, you will see a link for "Change your password." If you do not already have a password, the link will read "Create a password for your account." Click that link to go to the "Change your password" window.
  4. Step 4

If you have a current password, type in your current password in the first text box, then type a new password and confirm.
    If you do not have a current password, just type in and confirm a new password.
    Note: You can choose to type a password hint, although this step is optional. Be aware that the password hint will be visible to all other computer users. To be more secure, choose a password and hint that cannot be easily guessed.
    Click the "Change password" or "Create password" button when ready. (This will depend on whether you had an existing password or not)
  5. Step 5

If your passwords do not match, you will be prompted to retype them.
  6. Step 6

You're finished! You will now be prompted to enter your password every time you log into your computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
This sounds pretty interesting. We used a similar software at my tech support job a few years ago. Called "Windows Password Key 8.0".
It works very prefect to regain your password .Also use boot CD/DVD.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Good tutorial. As Niburu said, this is important for multi-user computers.
Thanks for the Windows Password Key, Annyyu22.
I'm most probably going to make a boot CD of it!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
I used Backtrack Linux 4 to change Windows 7 admin password of my friends computer and succeded. Just a matter of few lines and done. Its real easy. I was wondering if Oph crack would work in windows 7 ?

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Looks like a straight copy from Ehow? This emphasises my point regarding tutorials
Why is the OP banned after one post - curiosity.??

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Looks like a straight copy from Ehow? This emphasises my point regarding tutorials
It could be the OP didn't give a "Source" for the posting. I believe it's forum rules here (and also good etiquette) to post a source link when copying another website's article, review, etc.

I'm sure you've seen mine where I credit the original source.

There really isn't a "Tutorial" section listed on the Home Page, but there's the "Articles" section which I believe Ian intended as the same type of thing.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
It could be the OP didn't give a "Source" for the posting. I believe it's forum rules here (and also good etiquette) to post a source link when copying another website's article, review, etc.

I'm sure you've seen mine where I credit the original source.

There really isn't a "Tutorial" section listed on the Home Page, but there's the "Articles" section which I believe Ian intended as the same type of thing.
No. That's not why, or at least, not the only reason.
The member posted some spam links. Ian edited them out, but you can see "Last edited by Ian. Reason: Removed spam links".

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The first post was full of spam links, but instead of removing the whole post I just removed the spam and left the rest intact. This same person has been trying to sign up again and again to post the same spam posts, but they have been blocked so far :).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ah! That satisfies my curiosity.
I didn't think you were unkind enough to ban someone for spamming in his first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question