trying to map win7 drive on xp machine

Reaction score
Current set up: Win 7 Box(workstation) -Dreamweaver Win XP Box(server) -web server -wwwroot I am doing web development on the 7 box, accessing the wwwroot over the network through a mapped drive. File access is slow. Since I am accessing the files from the 7 box more ofter then the xp box, I would like to move the wwwroot over to the 7 box, and have the web server access through a mapped drive(currently the other way around) I googled, and tried to follow the instruction here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/ I can't get it to work. I have shared d:\intetpub\wwwroot as wwwroot on the 7 box. I have tried to access from the xp machine as \\win7name\wwwroot but it can't find it. I do not know how to add the xp user to the 7 box. The 7 box will be connecting to a public vpn and I need the file share permissions to be very tight. The only thing I want shared is d:\intetpub\wwwroot and it should require a (strong) password. I have been working on this for quite a while and can't get it to work. Please help.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Windows7Guy, XP doesn't have Homegroups and Security isn't the problem.

Chedderslam, when you access your 7 box from XP, do you see anything in there? Try checking that the folder is properly shared.

Reaction score
Hi

Don't access map drive specially wwwroot or don't map wwwroot folder over network. You just create virtual drive in IIS and access wwwroot folder using username and password of that system through IIS. Your problem will solve.

Ask a Question