Trying to join domain with W7 workstations in Workgroup

Reaction score
I have reviewed previous threads, and haven't found something that addresses my problem; or else the proposed solutions don't work for me.

I have a small work network with 3 workstations running XP Pro connected to a server running Windows 2000 Server. The old workstations are in a domain on the server.

We are replacing the old workstations with new, which run Windows 7.

The setup of the workstation by Windows 7 automatically puts the new workstations in a Workgroup, rather than in the domain. When I use System Tools to use the wizard to join a domain, I get the message that "Windows cannot find an account for that computer" in the domain. When I continue anyway, I get the message "your computer could not be joined to the domain because of the following error: An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve the DNS names in the target domain."

I have entered and deleted and re-entered the account and the computer in the Active Directory, and it still isn't recognized.
After reading various other posts, I made some changes to the IPv4 settings, but to no avail. {instead of the automatic settings, I changed the DNS settings to the same ones used by the XP Pro workstations. Tried that separately as well as in conjunction with setting the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway instead of using the automatic feature}. To no avail. I think I will have to call in a professional if you all have no advice for me...

{For what it's worth, from the new workstation, I can see (via Windows Explorer) the directory that is located in the server on the domain, but when I try to open those files, I get "access denied" unless I set up an administrator privilege in the Active Directory for the new computer. I assume this is a related problem. Also, I can't complete file transfers using Windows Easy Transfer without the new computer having access to the domain.}

Thanks,
darcy

Reaction score
domain with W7

Hhad the same issue solved this error by entering on the TCP/IP settings the ip address of the SBS2000 als the first DNS .... but afert this i got a message access denied and that the computername could be used before but this is not the case .

Found untill now no solution

Ask a Question