Trying to Change Password

Reaction score
Strange request, I imagine, but I have not succeeded in finding an answer anywhere.

I have forgotten my password to this Windows 7 forum. It does not matter too much because it is remembered by the website and I only have to quote my email address. But it is needed if I want to contact other Microsoft websites, which seem to have my details and want the forgotten password repeated. So no entry.

I next tried via this website to change to a new password. That too requires me to quote my existing password. Catch 22!

So I asked MS Customer Support for help and got the following reply:

Dr. James, with regards to your concern, I must explain that I am with Customer Service and do not have access to the tools to reset your password. That will need to be done by our Windows Live team, who will be able to look at your account status once you post a question from the below link:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/

In order to post a question, you will need to create a new Microsoft Account as it is mandatory.

When I went to that link and tried to register a new account, I immediately got the message that I had already got an account with my email address, so could not proceed. Catch 22 PLUS.

Any printable thoughts very welcome.

James H
Suffolk UK

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi James,

This site is an Windows 7 support forum - so the password you choose on here will work on this site only, we're not connected to Microsoft in any way. It's possible to reset your password on here (only if you're not logged in), on this page:

https://www.w7forums.com/lost-password/

To reset your password to work with MS sites, you'll need to do that separately I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Thanks very much. It worked like a charm. I could never have found that link on my own. Is there any way to change the new password to something more memorable?
Just a thought - not essential at all.

James H

Ask a Question