Tired of windows update FAILS... help required

Reaction score
Today it was an attempt to update Microsoft Security Essentials. Error code 80070005. Aaaaarrrggghhh

Reaction score
Did it... The program found nothing wrong. It's definitely a permissions thing. But I'm the only user and the Admin and it still fails.
To start, make sure your computer is clean. Run a full scan first. Malwarebytes is the best in the business. Try the Free version if you don't have it.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

If after running virus scan and you still have the same issue, it is my speculation that your admin account is corrupted.......
Create a new admin account > logon to it > and see if you still have the same issue.
You can also enable the Built-in Admin account and see if you can do updates successfully.
How to Enable or Disable the Built-in Administrator Account
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html
** use Option Two. Easier. **

Reaction score
Ran Malwarebytes and no problems. I logged off and logged in as the Administrator and same problem. error 800700005. Created a new Admin account and tried to update MSE and the same, error 80070005

Reaction score
I have no more suggestion except a drastic one...... re-install Win 7.
Sorry.

By the way, MSE is by far the least effective AV program among all free AVs.
I once had an article in which MS admitted that MSE was just a bare bottom of the pile AV program. Perhaps you can find that article by googling.

Reaction score
Microsoft: Security Essentials is designed to be bottom of the antivirus rankings
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/securit...signed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings

excerpt:
Now, Microsoft has said it sees Security Essentials as merely the first layer of protection, advising customers to use additional, third-party antivirus - although the company stressed that wasn't because the product wasn't good enough to stand on its own.

Shintaro

Reaction score
How were you updating Windows Security essentials?

Via the Update tab or via Windows updates?

Try a manual update. Download the virus patterns from HERE. Then run the file, it should update Security essentials.

Just as a side note I only use Microsoft Windows Defender / Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

Reaction score
In Windows 7, Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials are 2 separate programs.
Users can only have one or the other, not both. It is because MSE will shut down Windows Defender once it is installed.

In Windows 8/8.1, Microsoft Security Essentials is part of the operating system and it is called as Windows Defender.
Users cannot install MSE as separate program as it is already part of the operating system.

Ask a Question