This copy of Windows is not Genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello there im not sure if anyone has had this problem crop up, but i noticed today that in the bottom right corner of my desktop it says 'This version of windows is not genuine'.
I then went into the control panel to try and sort this out to find a window telling me that it wasn't and if I wanted to resolve now, I had to click the 'Resolve Now' button.
I pressed this and the following website came up - http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/
I clicked the Validate Windows link on the left-hand side. And then clicked Validate now, this downloaded the validation and ran it - it came up with the following...

Validation for Windows 7 is coming soon!
Microsoft constantly strives to update our technologies to help protect our customers from the risks of counterfeit software. Right now, we are working hard to improve the way that validation checks to see whether Windows 7 running on your PC is genuine.

Shortly after Windows 7 is available for purchase beginning October 22, you will be able to validate Windows 7 running on your PC to help you determine that it’s genuine.

Helpful resources
If you’ve already installed Windows 7, here are some links that may help:

Looking for general information about Windows 7? Visit the Windows 7 home page.
Have you already activated Windows 7 with a valid product key? Read the Genuine Windows blog post on how to activate Windows 7 running on your PC (English only).
Are you an IT professional? Visit the Windows Volume Activation site on Microsoft TechNet.
Currently supported operating systems
Only the following operating systems are currently supported by the validation process:

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Starter Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Windows Vista

[0x80080206] Need More Help?

Find out how to contact Microsoft if you need additional assistance.
Additional Links
Get the facts about validation
Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum (English only)
Report suspected piracy

So like I say if you can help that would be great! Thanks in advance :) :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Obvious first question would be - Is your version genuine (Technet etc) or is it a download from a third party site and, have you activated it in the normal way?
The message normally pops up until you activate.

Reaction score
Sorry Yes I, downloaded the R/C version (build 7100) the same day as it came out and installed it has been fine up until now?
An update - I woke up literally minutes ago, and found that the watermark on the desktop - This version of Windows is not genuine - has gone.
I went into control panel, and went into system and security, the system

And it says under Windows Activation -
Status Not Available
Product ID: Not Available.

Why is this?

Reaction score
If you don't have an option to "Change product key". I am not sure how you would go about doing this.

System.jpg

Reaction score
No nothing - I remember it saying activated, and had the product key and everything - no button though - have a look at the screenshot - I am stumped?

Attachments

Reaction score
I'm not sure olg207. I have not encountered that. Maybe one of the other guys might have a clue. The only other thing I can think of is maybe reinstalling. The inplace install so you don't have to reinstall your apps. If that doesn't work you might have to do a fresh install. Being so close to public release you might think about ignoring the messages if at all possible

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
So this is an RC install? Have you used any programs that attempted to forcibly remove the watermark or anything of that nature? Perhaps some registry cleaners or such programs?

You might make sure that the Software Licensing Service and Software Protection services are running... I'm not sure what the name was changed to since I don't see the first one listed under the SLS name. The SLS service used to give quite a few problems with Vista 64bit users when it failed to autostart properly, this being one of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Kougar - Yeah I used this one application to remove my watermark, and did the job great, I did this as soon as I installed the OS, so I dont think it is that? and I do have a Registry Cleaner called CCleaner, but have not run it in a while?

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I have heard of one user that attempted to forcibly remove the watermark, but it caused a problem like this with the activation. He was able to reactivate the OS through normal means, but since that doesn't work for you I honestly don't know if ya can do anything beyond a reinstall.

You might try using the various Slmgr commands to see if you can fix this, since at this point I doubt you could make it much worse. ;) http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2062/vista_activation_slmgr_command_options_explained/

Reaction score
Well I might just leave it because to be quite frank, I only have about two weeks anyway until my Windows Ultimate Signature Edition comes, so I will leave it be for now, and if any other problems do crop up, I will use my Laptop to contact you guys ;) Thanks for all the support peoples.

If I can fix this I will let the forum know.
Thanks!

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've run the Remove Watermark Tweek that was linked in this forum and use Crap Cleaner on a regular daily basis and have zero issues like this so I highly doubt either of these things has caused this problem. As an aside, Can you still run Windows Update?

Reaction score
I've run the Remove Watermark Tweak that was linked in this forum and use Crap Cleaner on a regular daily basis and have zero issues like this so I highly doubt either of these things has caused this problem.
I was thinking the same thing. I was not so bold as to say anything though.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone - I can still run the Windows update which is a positive!
I have found also something fishy too - I turned on the computer again today after shutting down the previous night, and nothing has come up - however, I put it on sleep for a while to play on the Xbox 360.
Came back from sleep, and this problem has cropped up any suggestions?

Reaction score
"This copy of Windows is not genuine" BUT IT IS!!

I bought Windows 7 about a year ago and all has been well until some weeks ago windows update keeps telling me that it needs to install an important update but that it is unable followed by instruction to reinstall from my CD using the update option.

Well, I did that and now I get this blasted message at the bottom right of my screen which reads "This copy of Windows is not genuine".. and of course all the other annoying message boxes.

I had no problem with the initial install about a year ago. Why now??? THIS IS A GENUINE COPY that I purchased from Staples in Canada.

Any ideas how to get past this? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I had no problem with the initial install about a year ago. Why now??? THIS IS A GENUINE COPY that I purchased from Staples in Canada.

Any ideas how to get past this? Thanks for your help.
When it comes to the "This copy of Windows is not Genuine" message, the only thing anyone can tell you is to contact Microsoft by phone if all attempts to activate fails.

If you have further questions please start a new thread. The last posting in this thread was close to two years ago. The main topic of this thread was based on Windows 7 before it was released for sales.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And the most likely outcome is that Microsoft will tell you to take your copy of W7 and your receipt back to Staples.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
For the record, there has been instances of this showing up on legitimate installs after doing certain updates.

Do as Cliff suggested and call MS, they're there to help you not hinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question