This copy of Windows 7 is NOT genuine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well Microsoft and an eBay scammer have burned me. I bought a key on eBay for that computer I built and it went invalid last night. What really stinks is that MSE warned it was invalid a month ago but when I followed the link to the website and rescanned it said it was fine. Now that it is past 90 days and I have no credit card recourse, now Microsoft stabs me in the back. Plus rock-bottom prices to replace the Win 7 have jumped an extra $20-$40 as it has grown in popularity.

I know the software was genuine because I used my official DVDs, the only thing it can be complaining about is the key - so they aren't exactly truthful. Their automated response says try reinstalling the OS and if that doesn't work return it - except they took so long that that is impossible. You can't trust ANY keys purchased on eBay won't do the same; It feels to me like Microsoft is just hurting the consumer and enabling the scammers. Either a key works or it doesn't, it shouldn't be valid for over 3 months and suddenly NOT.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I don't understand, why did you need a key from ebay? We're you trying to save a few bucks?

I believe MS will work with you. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was trying to save a LOT of bucks and I didn't need the discs because I already had two sets.
Microsoft's way of working with you is to sell you a new one for more than you can buy it most anywhere else ... pro upgrade list price is something like $199.
But this is more of a warning that ANY product key, even with the discs bought on eBay could work for almost 4 months before they lock it out. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure it's a bad key? Have you gone to the Microsoft Support and tried their validators? Have you tried the activation and used the Phone Support option?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, the phone support said it couldn't help and maybe I should reinstall from the discs or return it where I got it.

This was a HD that started spitting out errors so I cloned it. I still have the original HD so I have a few more ideas to try but if I allow a WAT update I figure I'm FUBAR.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Ouch! Which edition was this?

I bought not just a key but an "original Windows XP cd" from an online retailer once, just to have it blacklisted by Microsoft a year later because apparently the retailer was reselling VLK discs/keys.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
All the computers I support are W7 Pro 64-bit except one old XP my brother likes. It does what he needs and is used to so it will stay that way till he needs a new computer.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been burned on eBay a couple of times, buying XP Pro (OEM) to do installs with. Twice out of at least 50 times. Not too bad, I guess. However, in the end, I was refunded my money on both occasions.

More recently, last year, when the download links for Windows 7 OS's (Home Premium & Pro, 32 & 64 bit) became available, eBay turned out to be a fast place to purchase keys. I purchased two, one Pro, one Home Premium (32 bit) for my notebooks, for a total of $30. While I had no difficulties with the keys themselves, I was constantly installing and reinstalling, and ran out of activations.

But now I know most likely where these keys came from. TechNet. When you see these ads for keys, funny thing is, the number of keys available are 10 of each. It's always been this way. I had always wondered, why always 10, why not 20, or 50, or anything besides 10? Once I joined TechNet, I seen why. As members, we are allowed 10 keys for each OS or Office program.

Most likely what some does is this. You can go anywhere and get a throwaway debit card, just as you can a throwaway cell phone. Wal Mart sells them for $3, some stores charges less. Some, you can use an assumed name, some requires positive ID. All you need are four things, the debit card, a free email account, an eBay account & a PayPal account, all of which are easy to get.

You initially invest $349 for a TechNet membership, get all the keys that you are allowed, put ads on eBay, and let the money flow in. A Retail version of 7 Pro is $299, so getting the key for $25 is a bargain. If the seller moves their keys fast (they usually do), they're all gone in a couple of days, the seller gets his/her money and is gone. BTW, when you add up the number of keys, there's at least 200 per subscription, so the investment is recovered fast.

A couple of months later, in another city, the user does the same, using a different name, and contact methods. The key is in getting a "throwaway" debit card, w/o revealing who you really are.

DISCLAIMER: This is not to be taken as a set of instructions on how to be a crook, but rather a description of a real life scenario that takes place every day.

Cat

Reaction score
You can buy windows 7 ultimate x64/x32 FUL version for a £169 from a good online shop i could give you a link but not sure it is allowed :)

Reaction score
not sure if this will help try calling microsoft support and tell them that your key is coming back invalid they will ask for the the numbers from dvd and possibilly give u new key ( ive done this for my computers)

Reaction score
That's really bad & sorry to hear about it...i guess you should file a lawsuit against eBay :mad: Check with eBay & let them know about it but i doubt if any thing will change with those Goons they are good at Making fool out of people by smartly robbing them in the daylight. :(

Sorry M8 about the whole thing...
Moral of the story:- No shopping at eBay...:dontknow:

Reaction score
The only way you would get a new key is if you had purchased it direct from microsoft.

Because it was purchased elsewhere they wont entertain you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is an activate by phone option but you are just talking to a computer and it simply says there is nothing they can do, please return it to where it was purchased. I always pay by credit card but even that only gives you a 90 day window. This did not go invalid till the fourth month - actually MSE said there may be a problem in month 2 but if I followed the link to the website then it would say everything was fine.

Yes I could get the sellers info from eBay and file a small claims lawsuit but the filing charges are generally more than the cost of your loss. That is what these people count on; that the amount will be too low to bother with but that enough of them added together make them rich.

My biggest mistake was this, eBay notified me that the auction was declared invalid a few days after I bought the key. I know that there are various reasons an auction can be declared invalid including that it is listed in the wrong category. Digitally Delivered Goods on eBay must be listed in "Everything Else > Other" not in "Computer > Software" and this one was in Software. I should have filed a claim and would have been awarded a refund immediately but the guy had delivered the key and it had worked so I felt he was entitled to the payment.

So I was stupid and this guy was a crook but my issue is that I believe Microsoft is duplicitous because it allows people to validate and makes people think the product is fine and then can revoke this validation months down the road, even when it is too late to follow normal lines of reimbursement.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As is with the case with these individuals they swoop in and are gone once people or eBay start catching on. He is "No longer a registered user".

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Ok Thanks anyway TM, I know my Bro bought a key off T'Interweb a couple of months ago. Let's hope it wasn't ebay!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I will never trust buying just a key from eBay or anywhere again. It's too easy for them to sell the same key to several people - once enough people activate the key then Microsoft can shut them all down for "too many activations".

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This business of "key selling" is going to catch up to many users, if the user allows Windows 7 SP1 to install onto their computer. I'm a current TechNet member, and on one of my evaluation versions of 7 (Ultimate), I installed the SP1 beta. After the install, on the lower right hand corner of the main screen, it showed "Windows 7, evaluation version", along with some numbers.

Part of the reason of Windows 7 SP1 will be to clamp down on users who has unauthorized keys. Yes, you can download the discs, at least with Home Premium & Pro, but the keys is the problem. At the current time, many of these keys will activate & validate, but time catches up to some, as it did with TrainableMan. Although I'm sure that bought his keys with honest money, the seller of the keys wasn't honest in the transaction.

But what I can't figure out, is why did the key activate and validate, only to fail after four months? Really, it doesn't matter, unless you bought the key from MS, or an authorized retailer. eBay and other online sites like it, are NOT authorized resellers, although the seller may claim to be as such, having a TechNet membership is not a license to resell their products.

Having a key to actually work for four months that's not legit is a miracle within itself. Most likely, the key was blacklisted, and that was it. The best way to avoid this situation is to stay away from eBay for keys, period. And there are other sites too, but eBay is the main source of easy "key buying". Sadly, the officials at eBay has to know this, but are just allowing it to happen, actually playing a part in the crime, being a "safe haven" for crooks, counterfeiters, and thieves.

For this very reason, I refuse to purchase on eBay any longer. I don't hold it against those who does purchase items on eBay, but I've had my share of garbage on the site myself. I just can't, in good conscience, justify purchasing items from an organization who harbors those who rips off hard working people, and just because the 45 days of protection "ran out", won't make a transaction right.

eBay has became more or less an online dollar store, and the good items that we do find, could be stolen or who knows what.

In closing this post, to all members & guests alike, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. Having Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro for $10 to $25, is way too good to be true. Stay away from eBay for your Windows OS's & keys, you'll be glad that you did, in a matter of time.

Cat

Ask a Question