The original Need for Speed!

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Okay, for nostalgia's sake, I decided to resurrect the original version of The Need for Speed that I had sitting on my shelf. Of course, I had to install it in DOSBox, but that wasn't enough -- it also had to be done under my copy of Windows XP running in VirtualBox. For some reason, the rendering of the graphics would cause Windows 7 to get a little upset.

I'm a pretty big fan of the NFS franchise -- I think it's a fun game. I remember playing the original version back in the mid-90s and thinking, "Holy cow, this is so realistic and cool!" Let's see, what did I have back then? Oh, yes -- a 120 MHz Pentium from Micron with a 17-inch CRT and a Diamond Stealth graphics card! It was a screamer!

Take a look at the screenshot ... waddya think? Have we come a long way with graphics after fifteen years? :)

Screenshot (hosted by Image Shack): http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9707/nfstheoriginal.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, that does bring back some memories!

I've been trying a few old games recently and some of them are just as fun - such as Dungeon Keeper! :D

Others, like C&C : Red Alert look incredibly old now, even though that wasted so many hours of my youth ;).

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Haha, that does bring back some memories!

I've been trying a few old games recently and some of them are just as fun - such as Dungeon Keeper! :D

Others, like C&C : Red Alert look incredibly old now, even though that wasted so many hours of my youth ;).
Red Alert -- oh man. My friends tried to get me into that game, and I gave it a shot. They were experts at it, however, and I got my butt handed to me on a platter. :eek::D

I know it was a popular game though, and I do think the central concept and plot was a good one. If I took more time to master it, perhaps I would have done better, but there were all sorts of other games I was concentrating on at the time, like Doom, Duke Nukem, etc.

(To be fair, I think they impulsively defeated me without giving me a chance to explore the game and slowly improve, so I gave up quickly.)

BWS

Reaction score
Well, nothing brings back the memories like Duke Nukem 3D, sadly i havent been able to learn this far how to work with the Dos Box, so im playing it on other PC with XP

I mean, 20 PC's in Lan at some office every day after work, doesnt that tell you guys something about the game? We were having so much fun at playing it in LAN. xD

Ad

Advertisements

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't tried it myself but a quick search found this Multiplayer setup for a 32bit ported duke3d. So if you download the ported version and the win32-VatVit version of the Multiplayer console you can probably play Duke w/o DOSBox
http://duke3dmp.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Whoa! I remember these days when i was playing this game then i was 4 yrs old no lifer :D

Reaction score
Heh. Young folks such as yourself are used to living in a world full of video games. When I was born, they weren't really invented yet. ;):)

But I agree, Porsche Unleashed was also a very cool game.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Very nice, haha, i think i am gonna install Duke Nukum soon, i hope i can get that ols game running :D

Its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and i am all out of gum!

Ask a Question