The original Need for Speed!

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Okay, for nostalgia's sake, I decided to resurrect the original version of The Need for Speed that I had sitting on my shelf. Of course, I had to install it in DOSBox, but that wasn't enough -- it also had to be done under my copy of Windows XP running in VirtualBox. For some reason, the rendering of the graphics would cause Windows 7 to get a little upset.

I'm a pretty big fan of the NFS franchise -- I think it's a fun game. I remember playing the original version back in the mid-90s and thinking, "Holy cow, this is so realistic and cool!" Let's see, what did I have back then? Oh, yes -- a 120 MHz Pentium from Micron with a 17-inch CRT and a Diamond Stealth graphics card! It was a screamer!

Take a look at the screenshot ... waddya think? Have we come a long way with graphics after fifteen years? :)

Screenshot (hosted by Image Shack): http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9707/nfstheoriginal.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, that does bring back some memories!

I've been trying a few old games recently and some of them are just as fun - such as Dungeon Keeper! :D

Others, like C&C : Red Alert look incredibly old now, even though that wasted so many hours of my youth ;).

Reaction score
Haha, that does bring back some memories!

I've been trying a few old games recently and some of them are just as fun - such as Dungeon Keeper! :D

Others, like C&C : Red Alert look incredibly old now, even though that wasted so many hours of my youth ;).
Red Alert -- oh man. My friends tried to get me into that game, and I gave it a shot. They were experts at it, however, and I got my butt handed to me on a platter. :eek::D

I know it was a popular game though, and I do think the central concept and plot was a good one. If I took more time to master it, perhaps I would have done better, but there were all sorts of other games I was concentrating on at the time, like Doom, Duke Nukem, etc.

(To be fair, I think they impulsively defeated me without giving me a chance to explore the game and slowly improve, so I gave up quickly.)

BWS

Reaction score
Well, nothing brings back the memories like Duke Nukem 3D, sadly i havent been able to learn this far how to work with the Dos Box, so im playing it on other PC with XP

I mean, 20 PC's in Lan at some office every day after work, doesnt that tell you guys something about the game? We were having so much fun at playing it in LAN. xD

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't tried it myself but a quick search found this Multiplayer setup for a 32bit ported duke3d. So if you download the ported version and the win32-VatVit version of the Multiplayer console you can probably play Duke w/o DOSBox
http://duke3dmp.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Whoa! I remember these days when i was playing this game then i was 4 yrs old no lifer :D

Reaction score
Heh. Young folks such as yourself are used to living in a world full of video games. When I was born, they weren't really invented yet. ;):)

But I agree, Porsche Unleashed was also a very cool game.

Reaction score
Very nice, haha, i think i am gonna install Duke Nukum soon, i hope i can get that ols game running :D

Its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and i am all out of gum!

Ask a Question