SOLVED Windows 7 will not recover with original DVD used to install i

Reaction score
I tried to recover my Windows 7 Pro X64 system using the Repair disk I created after install and got the following message :-
This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows.
I then tried with the original install disc and got the same message.

Why does this happen? Is there a way round this problem?

Should one create Repair/Recovery discs periodically?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have heard some people mention that you cannot use the original DVD to recover once "Service Pack 1" is installed but I never tried it for myself. So it is plausible that this is your issue; you may have upgraded to W7 SP1 (part of Windows automatic updates) and the disks were created when you were just W7.

If you want to download and create a W7 SP1 DVD you can find links HERE. Be sure to burn it to DVD with a product that understands what an ISO image is (example IMGBurn in our Freeware DB). Please note this is not the same as an OEM version you would get from Dell or Sony, this is the same as the retail version you would buy in the store. Be sure to get the same version for which you have a license key and also get the same bit size (x86 for 32-bit or x64 for 64-bit).

Reaction score
The plot thickens!

I recovered the system from a month old Norton Ghost backup and reapplied the changes and updates.
I then created a new repair disk, booted up from that disk, and got exactly the same message.

Looks like some more digging is required.

Reaction score
Have done some more testing on this issue and have found that if there is more than one HDD on the system then to prevent the occurence of:-
"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

the windows system disc has to be on a lower channel than any other disc and must be the first disc in the boot priority list
or
all discs but the system disc should be disabled in the BIOS

Ask a Question